Installed V Code & B Code Springs, HOORAY!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
bonfire said:
Did you have to get an extended length rancho shock due to the increased height with the new springs. Or just stick with the stock length rancho?
Welcome to SDD Bill! Great to have you aboard :thumbs

The 9000X shocks fit up just fine when we went to V codes with plenty of travel for the type of driving we do.

The Ranchos you order will be fine. :)

Bill :cowboy:

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Welcome to SDD Bill! Great to have you aboard :thumbs

The 9000X shocks fit up just fine when we went to V codes with plenty of travel for the type of driving we do.

The Ranchos you order will be fine. :)

Bill, it's a positive attitude like yours that will determine the success of this site. :thumbs

The front Rancho's were oringinally designed for the V Codes that come standard on the F350's and most F250's. (The stock X just sits lower in the stroke of the shock) Installing V Codes on the X just combines the exact spring / shock combo that Rancho intended. :thumbs

The rear Ranchos can handle up to 3 3/4" of lift and be within the design specs for OFF ROAD use. Just like Bill said, "for the type of driving we do" (If your going with 4" blocks on the rear with the B Codes & Air Bags, then you may want to go with the 4" lift kit rear Ranchos because the Air Bags can raise you above the 4" mark, but why would anyone, the Air Bags increase stiffness beyond my comfort level). But with 4" Blocks, you raise the truck 2" & the Springs raise the truck 1 - 1 1/2 inches, your still in the stock shock range as far as Rancho is concerned, especially for use driving pavement princesses.

Last edited:

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's the conclusion I have came up with as far as Spring/Block combinations when buying all new springs & installing Air Bags.

The Ride Rite Air Bags installed easy & do raise up the rear about 1/2 an inch with the minimum pressure of 5psi. The Bags do stiffen up the rear slightly, but the rear of the X still rides better than stock by a LARGE margin.

My conclusion on the B codes is: use an F350 4" block or add Rear Air Bags depending on towing requirements (if using V Codes or X Codes in the front). If you want to keep a low ride height with a slight rake to the front, U Codes in the Front with B Codes in the Rear would be perfect IMO. (U's & B's are what Ford should have built these with from the factory with overloads) V's with B's end up with the front sitting slightly (1/4") nose high (almost level). Just so everyone understands, the wheel wells ended up 39 1/2 inches on both front and rear wheels, but with a level on level ground, checking the running boards for level required the rear getting raised a 1/4" and the Air Bags took care of that for me. X Codes would need the 4" blocks under the B's to keep things level.

Hope this clears everything up.

Next, I will reinstall the Radius Rods to see how they work with the B Code springs.

FordMastertech

Ford Guru
Reaction score
I did the V code front springs last year along with some straight 4 inch F350 blocks I had laying around. I had a vibration when accelerating so I installed some 2 degree tapered wedges that are used for setting the front caster on the bigger trucks, vibration is gone.
Last week I replaced the stock rear springs with B codes and used the stock Excursion 2 inch rear blocks. The rear was a little low for my liking, I was used to the way it looked with the 4 inch blocks and stock springs.
I installed the tapered 4 inch F350 blocks and it sits a little higher in the rear from before, 1/2 inch, but looks a lot better and the ride is not affected. The tapered blocks eliminated using the tapered shims that I used to prevent the vibration concerns I was having.
I had to trim a little off the right rear lower leaf on the B code to clear the exhaust pipe, It was hitting when the X was raised on the lift at work.
It sits about 1/2 inch higher in the rear from what it was with the stock springs and 4 inch blocks. There are some Pics in my signature of how it was before, I haven't taken any pics of the X with the B codes or 05 head lights yet.
over all it rides and handles a lot better, I have to see how it does when towing the travel trailer, maybe this weekend if not defiantly next weekend as I am going on vacation then.
The Rancho RS9000X shocks work fine with this setup but both the front and rear shocks top out when raised on a lift. On the road they are perfect. I am running both the front and rear on the #4 setting unloaded and the #7 setting when towing.
FMT

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bigdaddyTank said:
That looks good Dennis. What size tires are you running? So with these the front end goes up 2" and the back 1.5"?

285/75-16 They don 't have the rock solid handling of 265/75-16E's but they look good, ride nice and handle fine.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Dennis could do me a super big favor and inquire with Motionman where he purchased his front add-a-leafs from and for what they cost? :notworthy ;tu

cturrisi

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Not to hi-jack the thread....but I just finished installing a set of super springs, which are similar to helper springs in the rear. www.supersprings.com.

The short and sweet part is that they have improved the ride greatly, raised the rear by 1.5" empty and it squats must less with a 700lb tongue load. It also has helped with the wander I use-to get on the highway.

If anyone wants more info PM me or if you guys want I can post it here?

CHPMustang

Reaction score
cturrisi said:
Not to hi-jack the thread....but I just finished installing a set of super springs, which are similar to helper springs in the rear. www.supersprings.com.

The short and sweet part is that they have improved the ride greatly, raised the rear by 1.5" empty and it squats must less with a 700lb tongue load. It also has helped with the wander I use-to get on the highway.

If anyone wants more info PM me or if you guys want I can post it here?
Could start a fresh thread as I wouldn't mind seeing pics of it installed on your Excursion cturrisi :sweet

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Dennis could do me a super big favor and inquire with Motionman where he purchased his front add-a-leafs from and for what they cost? :notworthy ;tu

Ok Bill, here's MotionMan's responce. "What i did was take F350 V codes and added an add-a-leaf for a total of 3"s. The F350 springs were free from a take off, the add-a-leafs were $99. They are tough country soft ride. Thats how I did it and it has held up for over 60K, no sag at all."

Good info, cause any of us could do this to our V Codes and add rear blocks giving us more lift for less $$$. Very Cool Indeed!

Dennis

P.S. I've been superduty busy since getting back to work after vacation & it will take me a few weeks before I'm caught up and am able to do truck stuff and post on the board like normal. I still have to get the highest point measured on the X for someone who asked. :oops:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58