Inverter generator for camper

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I was looking into buying a yamaha EF2400is generator inverter to run electrical needs in our 26ft TT camper. Is this big enough to do the job?

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
is that 2400 watts contious or surge?
if surge then your going to be short if you run the a/c and anything else like a coffe maker.

figure 16-18 amps or more to start the a/c then 12-14 running

i have a 6500 watt genny and it will turn both a/cs on and make hot water plus coffe, :D

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Its 2000w running 2400w surge. I don't have an electric water heater and looks like I would have to shut off the A/C to run any other large draw appliance.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a 15k a/c you need about 3.5k generator to start it up. 3k generator will not start our a/c

We puchased two honda 2000i generators with the connecting cable to get 4k output.

Last edited:

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
I have an EF2400is and I don't think it is large enough for a TT/RV etc. It is quiet but for the money you can get something with a little more output that you will need. Or buy two $$$ and the kit to run them together.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
How about an onan 7000 ;) I have one in a gas version and a kubota diesel version that work great for my pipeline inspection trucks. It will run the a/c, air compressor, and hydraulic pump simoltaneously.

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could aford one of the kubota diesel version.
I hear they do a great job.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I don't recommend to customers that they buy anything less than a 3000 watt if they want to run the A/C. Certain 3000 watt units will power an A/C unit provided the control that reduces engine rpm under light loads is turned off. Those type units cannot react fast enough without tripping when the sudden demand of an A/C compressor occurs. Keeping the rpm's high allow the gennerator to handle that sudden power demand.

A 2000 watt will run smaller stuff OK provided you are wary of cummulative loads of the remaining appliances. Don't expect it to run the refridgerator, water heater, microwave, toaster, hair dryer, tv & coffee maker all at the same time.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wish I could aford one of the kubota diesel version.
I hear they do a great job.

Me Too.. we have a EF 2800i that powers everything we need, very well. But as TG sez: you need to pay attention to what you try to power up... at the same time.

If anything craps out with the 2800, I'm going to a Kabota, or 2 Honda 2000's :dunno

Last edited:

f100cleveland

Reaction score
Iv'e looked at the EF2800i and YG2800i too. They are a little louder but have longer run times. Can I get by without having to buy an inverter stye gen. set. I know they are louder but cheaper.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58