Help Needed IPR/IPR Sensor/ICP???

JRJ04

Reaction score
Just had the truck in and told them about me revving it with it "hiccuping" and belching out white smoke. they tested all the cylinders compression test etc and all checked out fine, no injector issues either.

They said they noticed my IPR Sensor leaking and that might have something to do with it. I think the thing is just running too rich and not getting the proper air/fuel mixture.

So my question is what in the heck is the difference between the IPR and IPR Sensor? Are they the same? I bought an IPR from a guy tonight (he gave it to me for $40...said it works...but i figured for that amount even if it doesnt i can live with that) Now im so confused as to what is where under the hood that i dont know what i need to replace. The IPR, I think, is down towards the valley just to the right of the fuel bowl, correct? Where is the IPR sensor? Theres also something else that bolts right down into the top of the motor on the drivers side towards the front that has a connector as well. Is this the IPR Sensor? What is an ICP? I'm all twisted, HELP!!:dizzy

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Jourdan, Diesel engines don't have a correct air/fuel ratio. They run on the same air charge on every cycle of the piston. The only variable is the fuel added. Little = idle, more = some more power, and full throttle = all the power that it will make. The air per cycle is the same. I get what you are saying, just wanted to clear up your vocabulary. There is no throttle plate in most diesel engines.

Dave

JRJ04

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. With that being said....its the fueling thats messed up right?

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ICP is on the driver side oil rail at the front of the head..if oil is coming out the top..she is shot..you can unplug it and the PCM will default to safe mode and make the truck run better if it is bad..in the pic the red line points to the ICP..there is also one pointing to the EOT.(engine oil temp sensor) right under the EOT is the IPR..

Last edited:

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this can give you a better idea on what the IPR looks like.the IPR is to the left of the pump in this pic with the tin nut on it..if the tin nut is loose..it can make your truck skip..go easy on the nut if you need to tighten it..it can strip very easy..to see if the nut is loose..grab the wire plug on the sensor and see if you can twist it back and forth on the sensor..if it moves..the nut is loose...tighten the nut just enough to keep the plug from moveing around..

the ICP tells the PCM what the PSI is in the rail..the PCM will then tell the IPR what it needs to do....if your not getting the oil it needs..the truck will skip and smoke..in a sence..it is getting too much fuel..only because its not getting the right amount of oil PSI for a good clean burn..

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
I dont know that I've ever had something cleared up so quickly! Those are awesome pics. Thank you VERY MUCH!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know that I've ever had something cleared up so quickly! Those are awesome pics. Thank you VERY MUCH!

X2 Ron ;tu

Super pics and "strait a head" verbage... even understood ;):D:lmao

Joe

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lmao thanks for the complement...now i got to put on my new used motorized heated mirrors i just got from the big brown truck..

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14