Help Needed IPR/IPR Sensor/ICP???

JRJ04

Reaction score
well shoot...i replaced the icp sensor and pigtail harness, and while the truck does crank up quicker...it still hicups and belches out whiteish smoke when I rev it. This is sooooooooo frustrating! What else can this be???:rant

JRJ04

Reaction score
havent done that...but could that really be it still? i just find it highly ironic that its still doing the exact same thing right after i installed it. what else could you think of causing this outside of the chip? When the dealer had the computer hooked up, they said it was maxing out the MAP sensor and that was causing it to fuel more (and probably too much). i dont see how jody could have screwed this up...which leads me to believe something is still wrong. MAP? IPR? I'm lost here:dizzy

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it will idle ruff till the air gets out..you said it starts better but no other change..so it may not have been the trouble..does it run ruff all the time of just on cold starts?? did the trouble start right after the chip install?? i know its a pain in the azz..but you might want to pull the chip just to rule it out..was there codes when the scanned the PCM ?? what where they??

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno just some thoughts.

This whole thing simply smacks of Air In The Fuel, to me.... and not Whizo-tronics, primarily when components are Cold, or when a demand is put on yer engine. Air intrution could cause low fuel pressure, an un-even spray pattern... then.. Rough Idle, the "skip" and white smoke.

Jourdan... Did you ever replace that Inlet fitting on yer fuel pump ? Or bump yer fuel pressure up... to 65/70 psi ??

Joe

Last edited:

JRJ04

Reaction score
Ron,

the issue is not so much idleing. It will idle fine and purr like a kitten. Only when the chip is on and I rev it will it miss out and belch out white smoke. When i'm in stock mode...no issues. Idles fine, runs fine, revvs fine when theres no chip.

Joe,

Yea I gotta agree with you on the air issue. And no, I have not replaced the line on the fuel pump or shimmed the fpr. I need to hook my gauge back up and see what kind of reading im getting.

Do you think it could be my MAP Sensor or IPR?

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if every thing is fine with no chip then i would call Jody..how long have you had the chip? if it was map ot IPR .i would think it would show up even with out a chip..i have a spare IPR i could lend you if want to try it..i took it out cause i thought it could be a problem i had..it didnt fix the problem so the old one must be still good.i cleaned it and rebuilt it..its just sitting in my tool box..

twt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Skip

I sure hope this problem gets solved, cause I have had the same skip , miss , transmision slip , or whatever. I will be watching this one. My truck ( misses, skips ) very light when cool & kind of leaves when it warms up. I don`t think my truck smokes white though. I have changed IDM,injectors,torque converter,valve cover wiring. ????

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron,

the issue is not so much idleing. It will idle fine and purr like a kitten. Only when the chip is on and I rev it will it miss out and belch out white smoke. When i'm in stock mode...no issues. Idles fine, runs fine, revvs fine when theres no chip.

Joe,

Yea I gotta agree with you on the air issue. And no, I have not replaced the line on the fuel pump or shimmed the fpr. I need to hook my gauge back up and see what kind of reading im getting.

Do you think it could be my MAP Sensor or IPR?

Well then (?).. You may have a Chip issue. But.. I don't think so. With air in the fuel and any one of the "tunes" turned on.. when the fuel mapping part of the tune does it's part.. but there's air in the fuel.. things aren't guna work right. (My think'n anyway)

For $15 bucks worth of fuel hose and 2 clamps.. and $2 bucks worth of #4 mini washers (or a FPR shim kit).. I'd try to eliminate as many [known] air intrusion points as I could, and get the fuel pressure up where IH sez it should be.

At this point.. I don't think it's a MAP sensor or IPR thing.. yet.

Yer call though.

Joe

(I think you said you had good (65/70 psi) fuel pressure, stock ? When/if you hook up a FP gauge again... look for a STEADY reading.. after 2-3 minutes @ idle. If there's any needle fluctuation (bounce).. thats an indication of AIR in the fuel.)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14