Help Needed IPR/IPR Sensor/ICP???

JRJ04

Reaction score
well i got my fuel gauge hooked back up and got a good reading. I was sitting at about 63-64, so i got 2 washers in there and got her shimmed up to 70 exactly! Definitely smoothed things out, but i still have the same issue. rev it and i get a miss and white smoke.

i see your point about the air in the fuel too. i really hope thats what it is and theres no sensor/mechanical issues. when i had my fuel gauge hooked up, there was a little fluctuation, but not more than 1psi, and it eventually quit and got pretty stable. how are other powerstrokes out there running the same setup ive got and not having these issues? i never had them until recently:dunno

About the inlet part, ive had trouble finding hose rated for diesel fuel. is there such a thing? everywhere i go just has fuel injector hose or regular old heater hose. Would i be ok with that stuff or do i need to find a diesel rated hose? im hesitant to rip that line off cause i dont want to be stuck with the wrong hose for it.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay.. Thats one possible issue, eliminated.

I get my Diesel >Compatable< fuel hose at NAPA.

Have you gotten with Jody on this yet ??

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
ok off to napa i go! jody was out all last week and last i talked to him was before i took it in to the dealership. hoping to talk with him tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Could this be an injector o-ring at all? I would think sometihng like that would have shown up when doing the cylinder balance test.?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok off to napa i go! jody was out all last week and last i talked to him was before i took it in to the dealership. hoping to talk with him tomorrow and see what he thinks.

Could this be an injector o-ring at all? I would think sometihng like that would have shown up when doing the cylinder balance test.?

Jody will surley have some good insight, I'm sure.

I agree that the balance test should have shown something, but sometimes the tests are only as good as the guy doing the set-up & testing. JMO

Does this skip/smoke thing happen just sitting at idle.. or under demands while driving too ??

Ron ? got any inputs here ?? Didn't mean to Hy-jack this.

early 99 stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he said it runs good with no problems in stock setting..in a tune is when it does this..don't know how long he has had the chip..I got no answer yet..did it start skipping when he puts the chip in? or has the chip been there for a while then it started skipping?? some trucks take a couple burns to get them to run right..some just wake up and go like hell first shot..
you not HY-Jacking..the fuel PSI and fuel lines where good thoughts..but it would seem to me if it was any of these problems..it would do it in a stock setting as well..not just in the performance tunes...

JRJ04

Reaction score
hey sorry for not answering your question, guess i read over it. i got the chip back in november, then sent it back to have it reburned to get the tranny shifting right, put it back on, drove it for a night and thats when the injectors went south. got it back and started to notice it then. all that happened around thanksgiving.

FYI, I did look at my fuel gauge again and it does bounce around a bit. it is by no means perfectly steady. replacing the fuel line is next.

Something else I noticed too...the exhaust just doesnt "smell" right either...almost unburnish??

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us posted about yer tunes ?

You might try to get a fix on what yer fuel psi gauge is doing now.. as compared to what it does after you relpace the inlet fitting ? That will tell you a lot about any air intrusion. After you R&R the FP inlet fitting...You should also notice the engine idle smooth out, and at idle.. the cackle should quiet down too. But remember.. there's another fitting on the fuel pick up assembly in the fuel tank that is known to let air be drawn in too, at fuel levels below a half tank....Sooo, you might wana fill yer tank before you do the FP inlet mod. (to get the full effect of the inlet mod?)

Joe

JRJ04

Reaction score
Keep us posted about yer tunes ?

You might try to get a fix on what yer fuel psi gauge is doing now.. as compared to what it does after you relpace the inlet fitting ? That will tell you a lot about any air intrusion. After you R&R the FP inlet fitting...You should also notice the engine idle smooth out, and at idle.. the cackle should quiet down too. But remember.. there's another fitting on the fuel pick up assembly in the fuel tank that is known to let air be drawn in too, at fuel levels below a half tank....Sooo, you might wana fill yer tank before you do the FP inlet mod. (to get the full effect of the inlet mod?)

Joe

yea im putting a call in to jody tomorrow morning to get his take on the situation. i'll try and get this inlet mod done tomorrow, but i have a feeling thats just not gonna fix it. but yes, i filled her up today so hopefully i wont be sucking any air in. if nothing else ill have a smoother idle. i have a feeling im gonna be pulling that chip off and sending it back to him. i just dont know what could possibly be wrong with it though cause theres nothing special he did.

one other think i thought....what about the flux capacitor? the one that is mounted on the intake spyder and then has a red line running to the wastegate and another running to the intake? Could that be screwing up?

if any other ideas come to mind, please let me know.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one other think i thought....what about the flux capacitor? the one that is mounted on the intake spyder and then has a red line running to the wastegate and another running to the intake? Could that be screwing up?

That is just basically a "valve" that has to do with the Wastegate operation.

I don't think that is in the mix here but when it comes to the Whizo things :dunno

JRJ04

Reaction score
You're not gonna believe this...

So this evening I finally go around to replacing the inlet line on the fuel pump and eliminated the QD fitting and the plastic line. I went and bought some fuel injection hose from o'rileys and it took me about 30 min. Also finally found a fitting that was a 90* elbow for my fuel gauge, only problem is that its galvanized pipe (is that ok?)

Anyways, after doing this I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that after doing this and shimming my fpr...my problem is almost COMPLETELY GONE!!! I still get a little bit of smoke and a miss when i really rev it, but its nowhere near what it used to be. With a full tank, and the fitting replaced, I'm sitting at a steady 69psi at idle (after a min or 2). I'm still gonna raise the issue with Jody because I think something still isnt quite right. I will say that I felt a real seat of the pants difference in doing these 2 mods. My truck really picks up a lot smoother and quicker than it used to. I really dont notice any flat spots in accelerating like i used to from time time.

Your comments...ever seen this before?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14