Is there a "better" starter/7.3

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, i believe the deisel models all have a dual battery setup.

And now i gotta know, how do you know the gauge of the wires, but not how many batteries we have? Just pickin, thats halarious though.

I thought he was fixing to say he wasn't sure how many batteries that HE has

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have worked on two trucks that the ground cable was all crapped out in the middle. Both ends looked great but could not get a good ground to the starter. So I did a back woods trick and put a set of jumpers on the neg. and went to the starter and grounded it and it started right up. I pulled the cable and big as day there it was. Put a new cable in works fine.

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey hey hey...in my defense, I said I didn't know if they were alllll set up like mine was. With 2 batteries. :D

The only thing I've heard about other SD electrical systems is that you can get the newer ones with 2 alternators, which would mean 2 batteries.

Other than that, my SD is the only one I'm familiar with :)

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
ALL Ford diesel pick up trucks have TWO batteries. What you really have is one big battery in two places, tied together with cables. They are in parallel, that is + to+ and - to -.

Dave

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ALL Ford diesel pick up trucks have TWO batteries. What you really have is one big battery in two places, tied together with cables. They are in parallel, that is + to+ and - to -.

Dave

x2..and I think with a second altenator is for pushing out more amps/watts.

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x3 Dave.

yep yep, rammertide. I only know this becuase I spent like 5 hours daydreaming and building my own custom F-350 on the Ford website, and I saw all of the available options :D :D

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for fun...I like going on sites and add stuff to the cart. Then go all the way up to where you pay....which I really shouldn't do that. Wife doesn't seem to like it too much...:rant

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back to my issue...

Did it again today. Started fine this morning. But when I went to crank it to leave work...it was slow turning over. I bought a battery terminal cleaning kit. Gonna do that and check out the connections at the starter. Anything else I should check?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
kinda sounds like what bjust happened with mine a few weeks back. it was one weak battery. have you checked them yet?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14