Is there a "better" starter/7.3

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kinda sounds like what bjust happened with mine a few weeks back. it was one weak battery. have you checked them yet?

Not yet. I'm going to clean the terminals and check the connection at the starter. If thats not yet then I'm going to pull the batteries and have them tested. And if THAT is not it, then I'll buy another starter.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just cleaned my battery cables. I was checking continuity between the terminals. Passenger battery didn't show any but the driver side battery did. Which that doesn't make any sense because they are on the same circuit:dunno. Could it be from standing water under the casing from when I washed the terminals off after I sprayed the cleaner on it?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let it high idel for about 30 min then drove it with a lead foot for 15min. Got back back home....shut it off...got the battery charger out and set it under the hood....got back in the truck....turned the key over and waited for the WTS light to go off (all the dash lights came on BRIGHT)....turned over better than before but still slugish. The batteries I have are Continental Platinum (1200 cranking amps iirc). Also says 3yr free replacement on the side :D and still have the receipt from Oct 19, 09. So I'm going to get the batteries off tomorrow and take em back to bumper-to-bumper and have them tested. I don't think it is the batteries though. That starter looks really old and caked over.

Could it be a chance of a bad starter solenoid?...I know its a long shot:dunno

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If everything else checks good...I'd say trying it's worth a shot. Usually starters just go out instantly, not over time. At least mine always have. :dunno

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If everything else checks good...I'd say trying it's worth a shot. Usually starters just go out instantly, not over time. At least mine always have. :dunno

I've heard of brush's wearing out on the motor and dragging the batteries down. Only experience I've had with starters going out is the teeth getting ate up and getting jamed in the flywheel.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Brushes don't go away in modern starters. Better look at cables, batteries and the like before the starter.

Dave

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rammertide, after this whole conversation, your problem sounds so much like a terminal connection problem.
With the extra wires coming off your terminals, do you have sufficient contact between the post and the connenction? I know that sounds too easy, but I've kicked myself before for not trying the easiest stuff first. Just from personal experiences.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brushes don't go away in modern starters. Better look at cables, batteries and the like before the starter.

Dave

X2.

BAD Batteries, and/or, Cables and Clamps just might... Fry... a Brand New Starter ? Maybe ?

A Point to Ponder ? from a pair of "Ol Guyz" ? ;):)

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Point to Ponder ? from a pair of "Ol Guyz" ? ;):)

Thats why I ask...the people with gray hair.

I'm getting a good voltage reading from the outside of the battery connections. It even shows up on my radar display. On my high idel it read 14v. Then after I turn it off the voltage dropped to about 12.5 and hovered. So if I'm getting the voltage at the power point, then I should have good connections..right?

Just checked it with the radar detector and it says 12.4v..truck has been setting for about 2hrs. I'm going to have to take the starter off to check the connections. So think I'll get the batteries checked out first (after I check the solenoid) and if they check out then I'll take that starter off. That seems easier....unless ya'll still think otherwise about my battery terminals.

I'll de-fuse the wires coming off the terminals so that wont b e a factor in the morning and evening.

Thanks for the hard earned knowledge;tu

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58