IS this a Good Air Horn Kit??

Lifted94XLT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Yeah, bama, I love your setup!!! Question..... I'm wantin to mount everyhting under the truck, compressor included, b/c I carry my winch and other heavy tools in my toolbox, so if the compressor is sealed, will it say, or would you suggest just puttin the comp. in my toolbox anyway to keep it from road debris..... and also, bama, do you think that if I mount them forward facing, that over time they'd fail from road debris/grime in them? Thanks for your help.

PS... Bama, would you mind if I asked you somemore questions through PM when I get my kit in.... I have a lot of plans for installing/wiring them, and I just wanna make sure I'm doin it right (obviously, I'm new to this)

--Ryan

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Yeah, bama, I love your setup!!! Question..... I'm wantin to mount everyhting under the truck, compressor included, b/c I carry my winch and other heavy tools in my toolbox, so if the compressor is sealed, will it say, or would you suggest just puttin the comp. in my toolbox anyway to keep it from road debris..... and also, bama, do you think that if I mount them forward facing, that over time they'd fail from road debris/grime in them? Thanks for your help.

--Ryan

those are all good questions. most of the compressors can be mounted in almost any potision. matt at hornblasters told me that. and you can see many of the installs that he has done, the compr. was put on the frame.

i just put mine in the tool box because i didn't want it to get all dirty and take a chance on failure.

it really doesn't take up that much room, so if ya wanted to just do that, i think you will still have alot of useable box space for your tools. you could maybe make a divider out of something to keep your tools from bumpin into your compr.

as far as the horns facing forward, they are mounted that way on a big truck, so you could do the same underneath on the frame. i think you will be ok in that area.

i "had" to mount mine backwards, because that was the only way i could get them big old train horns to mount on my truck and not get into anything. (had to remove the spare as you can see, no blow outs yet, knocking on wood right now.:sweet )

get up some pics after your install.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They also can be mounted under the hood if you are good at working in confined spaces. Check out my pictures and click on Air Horns to see how I did mine.

Dave :grin

Lifted94XLT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
alright, thanks, if you don't mind, would either of you care if I contacted you thru PMs form some install questions?? I'm wanting to put in some master switches and horn switches that I'm not too sure about and don't wanna mess anything up.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
alright, thanks, if you don't mind, would either of you care if I contacted you thru PMs form some install questions?? I'm wanting to put in some master switches and horn switches that I'm not too sure about and don't wanna mess anything up.

PM me anytime. i sure we that have added horns and air comp. have diff. ideas, but thats a good thing.

dave is real good on this kinda stuff, he may have some ideas that others have not thought of.

i know it was a learning process for me, and i had no one to ask questions about it.

Lifted94XLT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it greatly.... now, I just got a find a way to stay busy and keep this off my mind til I get them Jan 2nd. :D

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate it greatly.... now, I just got a find a way to stay busy and keep this off my mind til I get them Jan 2nd. :D

there is no way to get it off your mind, believe me i tried. i hooked up my stuff in my sleep probably 100 times, before it got done.

you have to just jump right in and :GRD

another thing i thought of. did you kit come with a pressure switch?

it allows your compressor to come on when it gets below a certain air pressure. you can tie it in with the ignition, so its only on, when the truck is on, or you can hook it up to its on switch, so you can cut it on, when the pressure drops, let it build up, and then just turn the switch off.

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score

94XLT:

Here is a great write up by RLarkin on his Air compressor and Tank install on the frame rails. A lot of us used his information on our installs, (Except for my compressor, as I have the Viair 550c which is not sealed, so it's also in my truck box, 5 gallon tank and Hadleys are on the frame rails). It has a lot of information.

I also found ShadowGray's pictorial for you.

Hope it helps.

Barrett

Last edited:

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Bama or any buddy else with train horns. How do you have the activation switch wired? Is it through your horn on you steering wheel or do you have a toggle switch? I am ordering Leslie Horns and I think I am going to put in a Toggle Switch. :sweet :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg