IS this a Good Air Horn Kit??

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wired mine throught a switch so I can go from stock to air and use the existing horn switch in the steering wheel. (However, I have not been back to the stock horn yet.....;) )

Barrett

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Hey Bama or any buddy else with train horns. How do you have the activation switch wired? Is it through your horn on you steering wheel or do you have a toggle switch? I am ordering Leslie Horns and I think I am going to put in a Toggle Switch. :sweet :sweet

i use an heavy duty air switch. i cant think of the correct name for it. it is kinda lika a dump valve switch that is used on an 18 wheeler, to dump the air out of the bags to lower the truck, so it can back in under a trailer.

i didn't really wont to go with a solenoid type switch.

here is a pic of mine and the location.

Lifted94XLT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
'hey stephen, yes, its coming with a pressure switch, and architect, thanks for the help and links.... I'm planning on hookin up a master switch for the compressor (or would an ignition on be better since I've got a pressure switch?) nad I'm gonna use a switch to select the factory horn or the air using the steering wheel button....... I can't wait. I've been sittin in my truck tryin to find a good place to mount both switches (hidden, I don't like seeing a/m switches) and a "custom" location to mount my air pressure guage (yet to be bought)

--Ryan

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
OK I'll join the thread now. I'm buying one someday when I quit making babies. I know from the research I've done that I'll spend the money on a VIAR compressor, and a VIAR pressure switch so that VIAR will honor the warranty. I also know that if I'm spending the money, it better be able to air up that flat I fixed with the plug kit in my tool box without waiting for the compressor to cool down, and also remove lugs with my spare impact. This is where the duty cycle on the compressor becomes important and where the corners get cut on the cheap kits. I have narrowed my want list to one. :
http://www.suicidedoors.com/4-PCTrainHornCompleteKit.php
This decision is based on the compressor more than the horns, but I believe these horns will get the job done.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
OK I'll join the thread now. I'm buying one someday when I quit making babies. I know from the research I've done that I'll spend the money on a VIAR compressor, and a VIAR pressure switch so that VIAR will honor the warranty. I also know that if I'm spending the money, it better be able to air up that flat I fixed with the plug kit in my tool box without waiting for the compressor to cool down, and also remove lugs with my spare impact. This is where the duty cycle on the compressor becomes important and where the corners get cut on the cheap kits. I have narrowed my want list to one. :
http://www.suicidedoors.com/4-PCTrainHornCompleteKit.php
This decision is based on the compressor more than the horns, but I believe these horns will get the job done.

budro, my compressor is a cont. duty, so NO down time or need to let it cool off.

i believe this one
is the one i bought, cant remember.

it does work great for pumpin up tires too.

Lifted94XLT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
hey stephen and architect..... did y'all use a DPST on/off switch, or a DPST on/off/on switch?? the only DPST switches I can find around here are the O/F/O. I don't need a the center off, b/c I'll never wanna disable my horn completely (unless you can convince me otherwise)..... Thanks.

--Ryan

Lifted94XLT

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
got a coupla questions about shadowgrays pictorial..... what's the signifigance of having the air dump?? is that just so he doesn't have to get under the truck to let air outta the tank?? and also......is the DPDT switch the only way to go for switchin between OEM/Air horns??? I was thinkin all you'd have to do is use a DPST switch, that has three "prongs".... the power from the oem horn goes into the center prong of the switch, Then on the left prong, the continuing oem wiring continues to the oem horn. Then, on the right prong, the power running to the air horn solenoid. so all you have is a simple tap..... am I wrong in my thinkin?

--Ryan

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg