Just found out why my fuel mileage is junk (turbo carnage)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man id be asking for some concessions on
this...considering the thing is toast after a
mere 4k miles !

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
At least he caught it before it lost a fin or 2 of schrapnel into the engine. Thats a little silver to line the clouds.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
This was the second turbo on the truck.

The original lasted to 137,000 miles.

The second made it to 151,000 miles, but I think it last until around
147,000 :dunno (thats when I got the truck back from the head
gasket job.) it made a high whine sound when I got it back.

I just thought it was the sound the fuel system was making.

Ignorance on my part I guess for not having it checked out sooner.

If I would have checked it out when I first noticed it or even 3 months ago,
it would be covered under the 12/12

bama
if it made all that noise when you picked it up after the head gasket job, i would be tap dancing on the service managers desk to get it replaced gratis.
i would also ask the tech that did all that work is missy a 5/16 socket :eek:
something hit at least on of the blades. plus man you are flat moving some oil blow by. the first pictures has a bunch of dirty sandy looking oil residue. I would check my airfilter very very close, thats to much dirt up there.
upon a closer enlargement i would not dismiss a piece of the fin broke off and taxied around a bit and caused the others to fail. BUT, the edges are worn pretty smooth now so any 100% asnwer is going to be unattainable.
when my truck came back from the hpop repair the intake hose clamp was not attached and the hose was sucking in infiltered air. :rant

man you have all the luck

pull the ic to and see if you can find the object, even in turbine engines we could find enough of the FOD to determine what it was that got eaten.
sockets or small screws are easy to find down stream

platinum01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang Bama the sucks well atleast you found it before it really came apart and made a boom. Hope you get it fixed soon.

HowieE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bama, it looks like something went through it. Check the rest of the tubing from the air filter for any thing broken or missing. Also on your other thread, that is the back pressure sensor & tube.
Mike

That does not look like something went through the turbo it looks like something was stuck into the turbo. The second vane set shows no damage. In order for something to have gone through it would have had to contact at least one blade of the second vane set.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58