lack of fueling

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
does any one know what would cause a 97 psd to not get enough fuel at higher rpms and it will not get hot on the egts. I went up and played in the snow today when we got up to 5500-6000 feet egts went up to 1400+ i got black smoke pouring out the tail pipe and incredable power. but when i go in town at about 500 feet i get a tiny puff of smoke never over 1150 egts. any suggestions?

Black_Mamba

I'm a Window Licker!!
Reaction score
At higher altitudes there is thinner air up there so the crazy black smoke and higher EGT's tell me less air and too much fuel. Smoke of course as you know is unburnt fuel which means your running a wee bit rich which in our case it is not too bad as long as your watching what your doing. But when you get back into town the small puffs mean an even mixture of air and fuel. Just watch it at higher altitudes because of the thinner air. You'll spool your turbo up too fast and burn her up. My suggestion is when playing at that high of an altitude when your EGT's go past 1250 F back off a little bit and let her cool down.

But on another note wish I could have some snow to play in down here.

97CREWCABPSD

Reaction score
thanks but my problem is i cannot force the truck to get hot in town. I have an edge ez in race mode and a super chip in race mode all the time and pull a 28' equipment trailer @ about 17500lbs

97CREWCABPSD

Reaction score
yes i am and another thing it wont even make enough power to do 75 up a real hill when you start at 60 and pin it

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Well, with stock squirters in there still youre going to have a helluva time getting the fuel in, the SCMT wont help much. They are very conservative with what they say they can accomplish IMHO. Those 37's arent helping your cause any either. Thats alot of meat to get rolling.

Looking at the rest of the mods you list in your sig you are on the right track so far, you just need more fuel and you will only get it with a better chip and some real injectors.

97CREWCABPSD

Reaction score
what chip do you reccomend and what injectors. it makes allot of low end i mean it will burn the 37's on dry pave for a block or so

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
I would go with a minimum of Beans Stage I's but alot of guys are going with the Stage II's or II 1/2's. Couple that with a twildman 4 position chip and youre going to have between 350 and 400 at the rear wheels.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
97CREWCABPSD said:
yes i am and another thing it wont even make enough power to do 75 up a real hill when you start at 60 and pin it
This bothers me............. you should have no problems getting that baby to move on up to 75 mph going uphill. Whats your fuel pressure? Have you shimmed the FPR? 10K mod? Any other mods not listed? When was the last fuel filter change?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg