Lack of power

vinceismyhero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have an 03 6.0 auto and am having a power problem. After a day of fishing when i go to pull my boat out of the water my truck can barely pull it up the ramp. Same thing goes for in the mornings when I go to work. I can push the gas pedal to the floor and it will be extremely sluggish for atleast 5 minutes then it is normal. It then has plenty of power and responds well. What do you think the issue is? I'm scared the next time I'm at a lake with a steeper ramp I might not be able to make it up.

irish4x4

Mayor of Margaritaville
Reaction score
Any bonus guages in the cab? ie boost guage etc.? You need to see if everything is pulling its weight.

Does the truck "shutter" when trying to pull itself out of the hole?

Do the RPM's climb but no go-go?

Mo info, Bro.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just too broad a question to do anything but guess about a potential problem.

any other symptoms ? noises ?

checked all the fluids lately...coolant, trans ?

whens the last time the filters were changed (fuel filter pair & trans by-pass) ?

has the tranny been flushed/serviced ? how many miles on the truck ?

vinceismyhero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no noises or other symptoms. just replaced the fuel filters but not the trany by-pass. i only let the truck warm up for a minute or two but it was also 90 degrees outside. the rpm's do not go very high either. it sounds like i am barely pressing the pedal but really i am pushing it to the floor. i have 95,000 miles and have not flushed the trany or had any work done to it. do i need to let it warm up more? how long? when i was changing the fuel filters last week i noticed quite a bit of oil leaking but not enough to drip. its coming from in front of and above the trany bell housing. i'm clueless...

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shouldnt need to warm up.

honestly it could be so many things....VGT, Fuel Delivery, tranny...

whats your factory boost gauge doing when youre having this issue...
is it showing lots of boost and no movement ?

where in texas are you ?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw - 'fore i forget...

that tranny requires "special" fluid...
MERCON SP...do NOT use a generic 'fits all' mercon or mercon V.

vinceismyhero

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
boost gauge? south texas. near the border. any thoughts on the oil leak? could that cause the probem. as i am pulling up the ramp the power will start to increase if that helps. to the ear it sounds like i am barely pushing in the gas pedal then pushing on it more the farther i get up the ramp.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg