Lack of power

joeglo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could use some advice!

I have a '05 SD w/ the 6.0 motor. 68k miles. Couple of days ago got in to go to work and had no power what so ever when trying to merge into traffic. Problem worsened and could barely make 45 mph. Prior to this the truck has been realiable, but with poor fuel economy. The dealer tells me it's the #6 injector. I asked him if one's bad why not replace them all? His response, Ford won't do it. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me, but I am not a diesel guy, this is my first. I have a Predator module installed to help w/the economy. It helped about 2.5 mpg, and the throttle response improved significantly but that was it. Best MPG has been about 15.5 avg. I also have added a Banks turbo back 4" exhaust (3"-3.5" down tube to 4" pre-cat) and an Air Raid intake. I like the truck, but these odds and ins are starting to worry me. I would appreciate any input I can get. JG

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a '05 SD w/ the 6.0 motor. 68k miles. Couple of days ago got in to go to work and had no power what so ever when trying to merge into traffic. Problem worsened and could barely make 45 mph. Prior to this the truck has been realiable, but with poor fuel economy. The dealer tells me it's the #6 injector. I asked him if one's bad why not replace them all? His response, Ford won't do it. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me, but I am not a diesel guy, this is my first. I have a Predator module installed to help w/the economy. It helped about 2.5 mpg, and the throttle response improved significantly but that was it. Best MPG has been about 15.5 avg. I also have added a Banks turbo back 4" exhaust (3"-3.5" down tube to 4" pre-cat) and an Air Raid intake. I like the truck, but these odds and ins are starting to worry me. I would appreciate any input I can get. JG

perhaps the factory injectors arent made to w/stand the additional
pressure your tossing at 'em w/ your tuner....

its fairly impressive, to me, that the dealer is honoring the warranty
(including the replacement of the bad injector and the labor) w/ the
mods that you have (more than a few dealers would have voided
your warranty).

it does take some understanding of how the dealer gets paid (1/2 the
normal rate & fewer hours) for warranty work to understand some of
their motivation.

warranty repairs have to be blessed by mother ford...or the dealer
wont get paid. Perhaps you can strike a deal w/ your repairing dealer
(they seem pretty accommodating)....you buy the injectors that will
support your mods and they bill the labor (that ford would pay).

joeglo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The Predator is not on when it goes in for service. They have never expressed any concerns about the exhaust or the Air Raid. In fact this dealer has gone so far as to offer that the adds were a good thing for the engine life because it helps it run cooler. JG

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
boost gauge? south texas. near the border. any thoughts on the oil leak? could that cause the probem. as i am pulling up the ramp the power will start to increase if that helps. to the ear it sounds like i am barely pushing in the gas pedal then pushing on it more the farther i get up the ramp.

1st we dont have "gas pedals" we have THROTTLES...sorry couldnt resist ;)

boost gauge- opps i was thinkin you had a 2005 (sorry, my bad)....
so apparently you have no aftermarket gauges either...

you hearing any additional WHOOSH of air ? are you intercooler
"boots" on...on early mod yrs they blew off sometimes.

are you hearing the whistle of the turbo in response to your
throttle pressure ?

oil leak - theres plenty of areas that could leak (not that they are
necessarily prone to leaking)...are you seeing an increased crank to start
time ? the ICP & IPR the 2003 yr are near the back of the motor and
it could be leaking...which could leak oil and impact throttle
response/power.

Page 41: Fuel Management System

dare i ask...any engine codes set ?

id give a serious look to determine where the oil is leaking from...
it might be blowing from the front...

at this point youre gonna need some diagnostic software code reading
to determine what the actual cause of your problem is.

Last edited:

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Predator is not on when it goes in for service. They have never expressed any concerns about the exhaust or the Air Raid. In fact this dealer has gone so far as to offer that the adds were a good thing for the engine life because it helps it run cooler. JG

that doesnt mean the predator didnt shorten the life of the injector(s).

would the dealer say the same if he knew you were also increasing the
fuel ? <which btw in a diesel does NOT lower the temps...like it does
in a gasser>

joeglo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The Predator is not a "fueler" programmer it is a module that supposedly adjusts oxygen atomization? I think it is adjusting the air/fuel mix. I'm No expert so maybe you can tell me. You might want to check out their website. My purpose w/ going with the Predator/Dr. Performance was to stay away from overfuelling to avoid the high EGT's that the progammers were prone to generate. Back to th e injectors, there appaears to be a lot talk about the OEM iinjectors being inferior/defective from the beginning and that Ford was well aware of the issues. What have you heard?

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Predator is not a "fueler" programmer it is a module that supposedly adjusts oxygen atomization? I think it is adjusting the air/fuel mix. I'm No expert so maybe you can tell me. You might want to check out their website. My purpose w/ going with the Predator/Dr. Performance was to stay away from overfuelling to avoid the high EGT's that the progammers were prone to generate. Back to th e injectors, there appaears to be a lot talk about the OEM iinjectors being inferior/defective from the beginning and that Ford was well aware of the issues. What have you heard?

call it what you want...its a pressure increasing mod....and you dont get
more hp just by adding air and playing w/ the timing...theres always
gonna be inferior parts...'specially when you start trying increase the
hp...just ask the 4r100 guys what their weak link is.

w/in this forum (and others) injectors do not appear to be consistant
points of failure, compared to hpop connector brackets and a few other
items.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
:bp

ha ha this is a perfect time to use this. joglo if you did int notice BP is not a fan of after market "power adders" and neither am I but listen to what he says its all truth. if your dealer is going to do something under warranty then WTH are you asking about? do you want more power? well then be careful you will fall down a slippery slope of buying more and more and more and replacing this with that and making this compatible and bla bla bla.....

oh and there is a lot of inferior/defective about the 6.0 tee hee:tounge

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it has nothing to do w/ if i am pro or anti hp increasing mods (i love hp...the more the better).

imo you wanna play, you better expect to pay.

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush. You told me the same thing the first week I was on this fourm. If you want to play you are going to pay. And yes I understand well what you are saying. Luckly there are so many dealers in town they ust all about know if one doens't take care of the problem there is another 6 dealers within 30 mins drive. As far as charging t he customer full retail to fix the problem the customer would walk out in a heart beat to hear the factory rate when "John Desiel Shop" will do it at half the rate.

Trick is to find a dealer that wants to make a name for itself and build a relationship.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg