LED lighting causes Alt/ Battery issues

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Looks like we finally have someone who KNOWS electronics and electrical. Thanks DieselDo.

Dave ;tu

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in about the confusion on lower amp draw vs. higher wattage. Its true that led's draw less amperage at the same voltage. The higher wattage they seem to be refering to is in watts of light emmitted equivelent. For example new led based home light bulbs might draw 18 actual watts but they give the same output of light as a 60 watt incandescent.

As a side note, the voltage spike issue you mentioned was brought up in a recent radio club meeting, one of our engineers suggest its not the led itself causeing them, but could possibly be lack if filtering in the switching power supplies of high power leds.

Looks like we finally have someone who KNOWS electronics and electrical. Thanks DieselDo.

Dave ;tu

YES.. thanks for adding some clarity to this DieselDo ;tu;tu

I didn't want, or mean, to cause any Panic to todays LED lighting, but with todays "High Tech Automotive Electronic Component Systems" (usta be called hook'n up 12 volt stuff).. I was hoping someone would chime in with some knowledge.. You did that.

Thanks again. ;tu;tu

Joe

DieselDo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
"used to be called hookin up 12 volt stuff" Ahh, good old days, when a shade tree mechanic was as good as the grage mechanic. The newer digital electronics have their place, and no one can argue what they have do to improve efficency, but for me they are just too sensitive to dirty power. Static discharge, voltage spikes, sneezing the wrong way can take out a chip real quick. It's almost to the point you need a degree in electronics to put fuel in the tank.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's almost to the point you need a degree in electronics to put fuel in the tank.

I hear ya !!!

but don't fergita 'member ta dump in sum DEF, so yer DPF don't send a signal to yer ECM to cut yer power.. sending you inta a Limp Mode... unless course you do a OCR...... (this will all be flashed to ya on yer Message Center thingy by little lit up Wrench'n Engine pitchers) Jeeees'

:D;):lmao

DieselDo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
It's because of things like DEF, DPF, ECM, IDM, FICM, that some times I wish I had an old 6.9 or 7.3 IDI engine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58