Lift suggestions and where to buy

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Ok Im asking here because I think this is the best X resource.Im wanting to get a 4.5" - 6" kit.I just dont know wehter to go toward Donahoe,pro-Comp,FabTech, and so on.What are the pros and cons of some different manufactuers?I know a lot of Duramax owners were using 6" pro comps with a lot of luck when I was on the other board.Also what size wheel tire combo would be best suited too?Could the stock wheels be use or would it just not look right.I would actually like to have the stance widened.Im really only interested in prices without install now if anyone has em.
From looking around I like the 4.5" Donahoe with 18" wheels and 35's.But am very open to any other combos.Also is 4 wheel off road decent to deal with or not?We dont have all the Cali options here in CO just Cali prices lol.

ShayB

Colorado PSD Club
Reaction score
Ryan,

I have had the Fabtech 5.5" lift on my 2000 X for 3 years now. I am still very happy with it. The only thing that I would do differently is the shocks. They are Fabtech and have leaked from early on and now are in desperate need of replacing. I would like to have the Bilsteins, but they don't make a rear one for an X with my size of lift.

I did run my stock wheels with the lift and 35" Procomp tires for quite awhile (I wanna say over a year) and had no problem. I know many people discourage this, but like I said I had no problem. My tires seemed to wear fine and the truck handled fine. I also do not think it looked goofy or anything. In fact, there are some old pics from the day we installed the lift (yes we installed it ourselves): http://photos.thedieselstop.com/showgallery.php?ppuser=26232&cat=500&thumb=1 I did get a deal on some used Weld wheels from a friend and went with them just because. The only bad thing is they are 16.5 wheels and it is now very hard to find tires to fit them. I may have to go to different wheels when it comes time to replace my tires (right now I have BFG 35", but they discontinued my model of tire awhile ago).

I ordered my lift and first set of tires (Procomp that went on my stock wheels) from 4 wheel parts and had no problem with them. I ordered them online instead of going to the store, just because they had an online only deal on everything. I cannot remember exactly what I paid (I can go look for my receipt, but it may be with my CPA), but I was thinking the lift cost me around $1200 or so. Don't quote me on that though.

Living here in Colorado, have you checked out www.coloradopowerstrokeclub.com ? It is free to join and we have tons of great people on there. We also do some fun events.

Good luck with your lift. Excursions look so much better, IMO, lifted even if just a bit. I just hated mine as low as it was stock. Now I love it and it handles great. I race it, sled pull, tow stuff and daily drive it. It's definitely no princess pampered truck......

Last edited:

drchris1024

SDD Security
Reaction score
I would start w/ a front spring swap out ( V codes ) and rear blocks and from there decide how much more lift you want. Me personally I love my DR lift. My X rides 10X better than factory now. DR is alittle pricer but I would do it again in a heartbeat. If you haven't already also get a rear sway bar. You won't be sorry, and then I would also go w/ Rancho adjustable shocks. I have the Bilstiens and have ridden in a friends w/ Ranchos and liked them better... just my 2 cents

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would stay away from Pro Comp. I've talked with several people who were not happy for various reasons. Like Shay said, FabTech builds pretty stuff for the larger vehicles. I don't know any one who's been unhappy with them.
As for purchasing, call a guy named Bob Supplee at 405-799-8977 or e-mail him at [email protected]. He doesn't have a web site, but he can almost always get things cheaper than any other place. I've purchased several things from him in the past and he's good to deal with. :sweet

If you were closer, I'd offer to help you install the lift.

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
My 5.5 Superlift SelectRide is great. It doesnt have as many leaf springs as the DR system it only has 10 leafs instead of 12 but rides great an no sagging at all since I installed it in April 04. I agree with no going with Pro Comp or any other company that doesn't have a 10-12 leaf design. The less leafs the harder the ride and greater the chance of it sagging over time. I got mine from 4Wheel Parts.

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I kinda need it due to the wife asking me to get prices of stuff fro X-mas and Birthday, think shes gonna do a both our familys chip in deal.

Shay I already am a member remember I had asked some questions of you on the deieselstop and you pointed me towards your site.My stock wheels are a bitt diff than yours but still think it would be ok unless I got a smokin deal somewhere.

Elk where in CO are you anyway?I also give that guy an e-mail to see what he can do.I dont see me gettting one soon just need good numbers.I also dont think the install would be all that hard if theres not much cutting or welding.Im an aircraft mechanic and have a good friend who works at the jep dealer in town, real good Tech.

Jguzman75 I think Ive looked at your pics a hundred times I always forget its the same one,lol.Is the rear sagging on your X or is just a lift block situation.I have airbags and a sway bar will be in the future sometime.

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm up in Longmont. If you're an aircraft mechanic, you don't need my help! ;)

ShayB

Colorado PSD Club
Reaction score
mille-ryan said:
Shay I already am a member remember I had asked some questions of you on the deieselstop and you pointed me towards your site.My stock wheels are a bitt diff than yours but still think it would be ok unless I got a smokin deal somewhere.

Oops, sorry.:doh: I cannot keep up with all the members. I try, but haven't been able to as of yet.

Like I said, your stock wheels will be just fine with 35" tires. If you are like me, I just could not swing the lift, tires and new wheels all at the same time, so I just did the lift and tires on my stock wheels. After I had saved up a bit more money, I bought my current wheels used from another club member.

Good luck. We do usually try and do a mod day sometime in the winter (after receiving those Christmas presents:D ). Not sure when you are wanting to do the lift, but that is usually a great time to do stuff. We get a big shop with lifts and tools all to ourselves and lots of club members around to help out. We usually get tons of stuff done to many different trucks.

jguzman75

McAllen, Texas
Reaction score
Okay Okay, I'll get some new ones soon but yeah its a lift block problem and it really doesnt look that bad in person or even ride the way it looks in this picture it must be the "camera adds a few pounds" or maybe the road that I took the picture on. Lots of people compliment how the truck rides and are surprised how smoothe it is even for such a large vehicle. I have two blocks stacked and even though its not recommended, it works for me and the way I drive.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14