Limited Slip....... NOT

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While in a wet grassy and slight muddy field today I found out that my 1 ton KR limited slip diff, is very limited..... I stopped briefly then tried to move and the right rear dually dug this nice big hole in the ground, and there I was:dunno Then I had to try it again:roflmao :roflmao Yup another hole:roflmao no limited slip.... soooo whats up whit this here rear end. when I jacked it up both wheels turnted the same direction...and the dealer said I didn't have any problem after he checked it out. Now what? should I break out the welder and you know....
Is there a fix for this? I don't like it the way it is........... I need some help Plze

atk

Reaction score
put in a detroit locker or an air locker and be done with it...thats what i will be doing when funds will allow.....just my :2c

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
pete
i have found if i am in soft stuff and srt of goose it both wheels will dig in and go
so far i have never had just one side spin,
geuss i am lucky
take it back and have it checked out... then if you need a more reliable i would look at a air locker for driveability and still allow full power to both wheels

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
might have to TIGHTEN up the clutch pack a little.

Mine performs better, now that i drained the ford factory
fluid & refilled w/ royal purple (which already has the friction
modifier in it)....personally im wondering if ford isnt putting in
TOO MUCH modifier @ the factory.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you found out that the factory limited slip only works when it wants to ( I got stuck on wet leaves once ). I agree with bush on the royal purple mine seams to work better with it. If you want something better go to a selectable locker. Heres a trick from my wheelin days If you have one tire spinnin just rest your other foot on the brakes you may be able to get the limited slip to lock up.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, mines toast too... you could just burn it out and have them replace it... go find some slick stuff, put the right tires on the solid surface and let the left tire spin. That will absolutely toast it. let it go for about 10 or 15 minutes...

Then go back to the dealer and say, see... told you it didn't work. If they'll let you, get a detroit tru-trac and have them put it in. They have to pull the gear set anyway to replace the clutches, so this way they're already in there. I don't think you'd want a locker for a road towing truck. But in any case, get rid of that worthless friction modifier... that garbage is designed to keep grandma from complaining about slip stick noise after long runs on an interstate type road where both wheels are going the same speed. First thing Auburn tells you to do it get rid of that crap.

Too bad our factory LS's are worthless.

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good replys.... I think I'll try the Royal Purple route. Does any one here have a good place to purchase the stuff resonable? Do any of our sponsers sell the oil? I'll support them first....
Thanks again:thumbs

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good replys.... I think I'll try the Royal Purple route. Does any one here have a good place to purchase the stuff resonable? Do any of our sponsers sell the oil? I'll support them first....
Thanks again:thumbs

pep boys, 9.99 per quart, youll need a bit over 3 quarts.
orielly auto parts will price match if you have the phone number
of a pep boys in your area so they can verify the price.

Ironmerganser

Ironmerganser
Reaction score
Yep......Pep Boys or O'Reilly's has it. Each will match the others price too if one is cheaper than the other.

FX4DUDE

Diesel Die Hard
Reaction score
anybody see a fuel mileage increase with RP in the diff? The same stuff go in front and rear?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
castellscl