Looking for information on a Detroit 318.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Plus I want to ability to say “hey look what I got”

There is nothing wrong with that notion at all, matter of fact I admire the guy that does the unique. However, the 12V is good for, well the sky is the limit nearly when talking about available hp and tq and it will fit so nicely underhood as thats the intent of the 5.9L.

Reaction score
I have already gathered almost everything I need to perform a 12V conversion to my wife's 351 powered F250. I like them; they are good reliable engines. Plus somewhat cheap to mildly build. But, to get real power they are not so cheap and I would shorten the life span considerably with what I have planned. I want an engine that naturally puts out bigger power than “pick up truck” power. That it why I am looking at something bigger. Plus, I like unique builds.

Reaction score
Okay, I think a V-six configuration appears to be my best bet. Especially now that I see how easy it will be to enhance. Now, what are the differences between the 6v-53, 6V-71, and 6V-91? If I understand what I have read so far the 53, 71, and 91 is cubic inches of displacement per cylinder, am I correct on that? If so, does that mean there is a significant bock size difference, or does it have to do with the bore and stroke?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Yes, you are correct; it is cubic inches per cylinder. And of course the size of the motor goes up. The bore and stroke goes up, but by how much, I don't know. It has been 30 years+ since I owned a Detroit Diesel. I am out of that loop.

Dave

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
Thanks. I am assuming the 53 would likely be my best bet.

That'd be a safe bet. It'll probably fit the best. We have one on a stand at the shop that runs like a champ. LOUD. My uncle has a 1971 fire truck that has a 8v71 and it runs great. Loud too. Detroit makes a great motor. I think that one on E-bay is a good deal if it runs, but like Dave said, stay away from the supercharger. Keep us posted with the build. Good luck.:sweet

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I am assuming the 53 would likely be my best bet.

The "53" was/is a very popular Detroit. Might be a good choice for what yer guna do. (size, weight and the like)

I'm admittedly out off the loop now too, but the main thing I remember about the Detroit's is: Short of Windowing a block, they are completely Re-build-able, LOTS of options for bearings, sleeves and other re-machinable parts'n pieces.

Your call but.. IMO the only reason they aren't around much anymore is because of EPA crappola. Depending on what yer going to do with the truck yer going to put one in.. You might wana check into the EPA crappola ? (your States Smog regs ?)

Again, Your Call but.. Just a thought :dunno

It'll be interesting to watch your project develop.. Keep Us Info'd ????

Joe

Last edited:
Reaction score
Considering the truck body I am using is a 68 I doubt the EPA will be much of a problem. However, that is a good point. So I will check into it. I do want this truck street leagal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14