Maiden Maintenance Voyage on 6.0

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: My Amsoil BMK21 unit showed up last night :). I need to go to Lowes to buy a piece of angle iron and a new drill so I can make some holes in it for the mounting bracket. Love having reasons to buy new tools. Son's on the way to International to pick up coolant.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, son picked up Fleetrite ELC Premixed 50/50...wrong stuff, right? Cost $16 a gallon. They also have a Fleetrite ELC Unconcentrated. At least that is what they told me on the phone. I'll have to go see for myself. I would have THOUGHT unconcentrated IS the 50/50 but they explained to me that their unconcentrated is actually their concentrated...confused yet??? gotta go see for myself...bottomline.

Last edited:

majek5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so as I'm learning...these are the same filters as Ford originals? I know, just say it one more time for the cheap seats pls. International is just 10 miles down the road from me, so would be an easy drill....next time. Everything is on order now for Ford originals.

Yes, same filters. I'm running them in my truck.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was hunting for a little more detail today on Fleetrite Antifreeze. Found WHAT to get and WHAT the community is telling me NOT to get :)...son bought the diluted instead of the pure. I uploaded the pics of the jugs in my gallery...haven't quite figured out how to embed them here yet. I got it at the International Dealer local.

figured it out:
THE ONE TO GET:
vbpgimage.php

and I'm GUESSIN THE ONE TO STAY AWAY FROM:
vbpgimage.php

Last edited:

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com, your 6.0 should hold 15 QT's of oil with filter and not 4 gal.
I always have a qt left over in a gal jug.
Doug

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com, your 6.0 should hold 15 QT's of oil with filter and not 4 gal.
I always have a qt left over in a gal jug.
Doug

Roger that. Knew I'd have a qt left over for next time. Is the mobile 1 syn turbo diesel brand ok? I got 5w-40.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dieselsite coolant filtration system showed up last night. Excited about that. Reading the install instructions and looks like it mounts where I planned on mounting the amsoil filtration unit (powerstrokehelp recommended location). So I'll scratch that and use install location recommended by 2Stroker. Really wanted to keep it under the hood, guess I'll need to procure some longer hoses now. No biggie.

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford (and lots of other knowledgable people) recommends their premium gold coolant. If it were me, I wouldn't stray from what Ford recommends. I think it just opens up the door for someone to say (in this case) "You used the wrong coolant".

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford (and lots of other knowledgable people) recommends their premium gold coolant. If it were me, I wouldn't stray from what Ford recommends. I think it just opens up the door for someone to say (in this case) "You used the wrong coolant".

X2. Stay with the OEM stuff.

When I flushed & switched from the Green to the Gold.. I went with the FOMOCO Premium Gold.

With the coolant filter, and the Ford Gold, everything has stayed Crystal clear.. absolutely No problems in 8+ years. Tests are Right On.

When I change the filter.. Top it off with a 50/50 mix, and Keep on Truck'n.

The KISS principle in action. IMO.

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my first peek under the truck today, and immediately saw what appeared to be an oil leak around the oil pan, and transmission. Is this normal? I never see oil droppings on the ground where I normally park it. What should I do? Do I need to replace some gaskets? HEre are some pics:

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhensonsr