Maiden Maintenance Voyage on 6.0

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my first peek under the truck today, and immediately saw what appeared to be an oil leak around the oil pan, and transmission. Is this normal? I never see oil droppings on the ground where I normally park it. What should I do? Do I need to replace some gaskets?

I haven't seen a 6.0 motor YET that doesn't develop a slight leak in that very area.

Give it some time, it'll probably stop on it's own.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Cool, I'm thinking maybe clean it up and see if something new develops there.
A couple of spray cans of brake cleaner works wonders there. My truck has the same problem. It's not a leak, it's more of a slow ooze. Nothing to worry about, I have yet to see a diesel engine without a leak SOMEWHERE.:coffee

tankerdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, I'm thinking maybe clean it up and see if something new develops there.

If you REALLY want to dig into it, get some fluorescent dye for the oil (it only takes an ounce or two) and dump it in. Clean off the area real good with the brake cleaner suggested, then run the truck for a day or two, or at least until you see the drip again.

Get yourself a small black light, crawl under the truck and using the black light you'll be able to see exactly where the leak is coming from. Be aware that because you've been traveling down the road at highway speeds, the oil may be pushed all over the place because of the wind.

I made a trip recently from NE Oklahoma to upstate NY pulling a travel trailer. So the engine was really working. Every now and then I'd smell burning oil in the cab. Took the truck to a Ford dealer in Rochester. They put it up on the rack, cleaned it real good with brake cleaner, installed the fluorescent dye in the oil, and sent me on my way. I looked at the leak when I got home and sure enough, Mr. Black Light showed me exactly where the leak was coming from.

Oh, the Ford dealer in Rochester? Didn't charge me a dime.

Guess it musta been my purty face. :sweet

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Took the truck to a Ford dealer in Rochester. They put it up on the rack, cleaned it real good with brake cleaner, installed the fluorescent dye in the oil, and sent me on my way. I looked at the leak when I got home and sure enough, Mr. Black Light showed me exactly where the leak was coming from.

Oh, the Ford dealer in Rochester? Didn't charge me a dime.

Guess it musta been my purty face. :sweet
Naw, it just comes from clean living...:eek:

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have found a little time to get started. So far I have replaced the fuel filters, installed a new water separator plug made of brass (the old one was rusted on the stem), installed a quick drain oil plug, oil filter, and loaded her up with Mobile 1 5w 40 Syn Turbo Diesel Oil. I'm thinking its time to replace my shocks also. I noticed today that on the front left, the ring that holds the plastic red boot over the top of the shock rusted through, so the boot rests along the shock housing 12" lower than it should be. make sense? Either way, tkhinking the bolt mount on the top of the shock is gonna go next, so better replace. Since I have to replace, should I stick with the stock Ranchos? I'm only interested in longevity, and at some point might be pulling, but not more than 10,000 lbs.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fer Shocks ?

Many of us here are sold on Bilstein's.

Mine have been on for well over 100K.. still good as new.

Joe

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fer Shocks ?

Many of us here are sold on Bilstein's.

Mine have been on for well over 100K.. still good as new.

Joe

My Son's gotta start driving this truck next week and couldn't find any Bilstein's so went with Monroe Magna-shocks. The ranchos were rusted through BAD.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Son's gotta start driving this truck next week and couldn't find any Bilstein's so went with Monroe Magna-shocks. The ranchos were rusted through BAD.

Understood.. Sometimes ya gota do whatcha gota do. Monroe makes a good shock too though. ;tu

Roadie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I had some time on my hands and spend 6 hours on my truck with a buddy of mine. The parts are stock piling and its time to get them installed.

1. New Monroe steering damper installed. The stock ranco was on its last leg, and had cracks at the eyelet that holds the damper in place.

2. new airfilter: that was fun putting in...lots of twisting and turning to jigger the housing out. I was quite shocked at the filth in the old one.

3. turbo boots from Diesel site: some comments and help needed here. I installed the upper and lower boots, I had to trim them a bit to get the fit right. *I am not sure I am using the retaining rings properly. *I have them on either end of the pipe in the groove.

On the lower boot, I placed the clamp on top of the retaining ring...In a sandwiched fashion the layers would have been pipe, ring, boot and clamp. *It blew off on take-off! *So then I thought maybe the clamp goes behind the ring closest to engine, and the ring closeset to shroud (still in groove of course. *That makes the front-to-back of truck orientation look like this...pipe, ring, clamp. *I'm assuming the clamp behind the ring now will stop the pipe from blowing backward and out of the hose. *Is this install correct?

The upper boot does not have alot of room in order to place the clamp behind the ring...so it is still sandwiched as explained in #1 above. *Is this correct?

4. My buddy helped me fashion a bracket from some scrap metal about 14" X 6" that mounts on two bolts coming out of the passenger side rail. On this plate, we drilled holes to mount the DieselSite Tranmission filter, and the Amsoil Bypass filtration system. We sandblasted and painted the bracket as well for rust protection. I'm thinking after I get it mounted, I might get his help to build a semi cage around the filters to protect from stuff hitting them under the carriage.

5. We also took a good hard look at oil leaking spots. Not liking the idea of having to get too deep into the engine, but it is what it is. He suggested (like you guys have) to clean it really good, so we can monitor where the leaks are occuring. Whats the best way to clean this 1,000 pound engine (or does it weigh more)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track