MAP Sensor

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will second the gauges!! Get them NOW and you will be in the know when it is time to talk about EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) and boost. Aluminum melts at 1230° F under the right circumstances, and you can melt them in a diesel truck. It is not normal, but it can happen with a chip or tuner. Knowledge is power.

Dave :)

Is anything of 7.3 aluminum? And I've heard 1350*F was the melting point of the engine combustion components.

Oh....and I 3rd the gauges, even though it took me a year to get them after the chip. What tuner you planning on getting anyways?

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am going with the DP tuner F5 switch POS 2 80hp eco tune, POS 3 60HP Tow tune 9to 13k, and pos 4 120 hp race tune.... the folks over there have been AWSUM!!!!... gauges and an exhaust are all part of the process.... I tow a horse trailer, and a few other things....

I looked into the turbo wheel, and also looked up the installation process has anyone done this on there own, is it complicated I am considering this mod first as the price is right ... as suggested below... thanks

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going with the DP tuner F5 switch POS 2 80hp eco tune, POS 3 60HP Tow tune 9to 13k, and pos 4 120 hp race tune.... the folks over there have been AWSUM!!!!... gauges and an exhaust are all part of the process.... I tow a horse trailer, and a few other things....

I looked into the turbo wheel, and also looked up the installation process has anyone done this on there own, is it complicated I am considering this mod first as the price is right ... as suggested below... thanks

I have not done this on my own. I have started the proccess of taking the intake tube, that goes to the turbo, off and kinda got affraid that I would be taking something off that I may not be able to get back together. I'm just going to take it to a diesel shop JIK and maybe they'll do it for $50. Theres a vid on youtube, actaually a couple I believe, of some guys doing the mod themselves.

I would deffinately not try towing 13k lb trailer with a 60hp tune. Your stock torque converter is underated for the job. I have a 50hp tune I was using pulling my 10k lb 5th wheel and that started the 2 month decay of my tc. Look into buying you a billet tc. Mine was $600, but I also had my transmission rebuilt and beefed up for a total of $2400. The 7.3 puts out 525lb/ft of torque and the stock tc is rated 700 max. My billet is rated 1800lb/ft max torque and I figure with my chip I'm somewhere around 700-800.

Last edited:

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have not done this on my own. I have started the proccess of taking the intake tube, that goes to the turbo, off and kinda got affraid that I would be taking something off that I may not be able to get back together. I'm just going to take it to a diesel shop JIK and maybe they'll do it for $50. Theres a vid on youtube, actaually a couple I believe, of some guys doing the mod themselves.

I would deffinately not try towing 13k lb trailer with a 60hp tune. Your stock torque converter is underated for the job. I have a 50hp tune I was using pulling my 10k lb 5th wheel and that started the 2 month decay of my tc. Look into buying you a billet tc. Mine was $600, but I also had my transmission rebuilt and beefed up for a total of $2400. The 7.3 puts out 525lb/ft of torque and the stock tc is rated 700 max. My billet is rated 1800lb/ft max torque and I figure with my chip I'm somewhere around 700-800.

I maybe asking an already asked question ... If the 7.3 liter is desigend as a work truck in my case used for towing... why is the tranny so weak ... These vehicles are made for work? :dunno
Thanks for everyones direction and advice....

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

I maybe asking an already asked question ... If the 7.3 liter is desigend as a work truck in my case used for towing... why is the tranny so weak ... These vehicles are made for work? :dunno so why get a tune then?

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I maybe asking an already asked question ... If the 7.3 liter is desigend as a work truck in my case used for towing... why is the tranny so weak ... These vehicles are made for work? :dunno so why get a tune then?

Its not the tranny, tranny will hold up under extreme conditions. Its the torque converter thats not so great. Its probably adequate for stock truck....but thats it. Ford built the truck in every asspect for pulling and being worked....but if theres one part they put in that lacked quality its the tc.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's important to note that our aluminum pistons, and other aluminum components won't >MELT< at a specific Degree, like 1250... but more accurately.. @ [Sustained Temps] of 1235 degrees, or above.. they can begin to degrade, at the molecular level.. resulting in, at some point.. a Structural Failure of one or more. (Usually a hole being burnt thru the crown) (I've seen a "Window" formed in the Block Too)

They Won't MELT into a molten Puddle in the Pan.

Just wanted to clear that up a bit ?

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it forged Aluminum? Aluminum isn't the strongest metal but I guess it would make sense to disapate the heat quicker than other metals.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58