MAP Sensor

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it forged Aluminum? Aluminum isn't the strongest metal but I guess it would make sense to disapate the heat quicker than other metals.

Yes, but I'm not a Metallurgy guy. IHC used two Aluminum compound processes for the Rods & Pistons, depending on production year.

My point was: Niether will accually >MELT< @ 1235-1250 degrees.. as this Thread was kinda leaning toward.

BUT.. All the more reason for an EGT gauge ! Even at Pure Stock.. If you Hammer Down.. on these things, Work'm Hard.. you could reach 1200+ degrees purdy easily.

Most EGT gauges, analog or digital, have a Red Line or some sort of indicator @ 1200*, stay away from that.. and we'll all be.. Just Fine.

(FWIW ? I have a Limit of 950*, I either down shift or git out of it.. unles I'm topping a grade.. then I'll stay on it and let the EGT's get a bit hotter.. for a short shot.) (kinda burns & blows the dust offa things, IMO :sly;))

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
fun post learnning alot... based on my $$$ and what we have discused and I have read this is my goal over the next month or two ...

1st Gauges

2nd whicked wheel ... I really like this suggestion

3rd cool air intake

4th 4inch exhaust

5th Tuner

I am addicted to my power stroke i love tinkering with her.... open to any other help.... cheers;tu

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fun post learnning alot... based on my $$$ and what we have discused and I have read this is my goal over the next month or two ...

1st Gauges

2nd whicked wheel ... I really like this suggestion

3rd cool air intake

4th 4inch exhaust

5th Tuner

I am addicted to my power stroke i love tinkering with her.... open to any other help.... cheers;tu

Dont forget 6th- BD torque converter

I've stayed awake for hours thinking about what else could be done to my truck....

Good order;tu

What exhaust are you going with?

Bill from powerstrokehelp.com said that it really dont matter what name brand exhaust you get, they still disapate the heat just as good as the others. I agree, but anyone have their input about this. This is the one I was looking at getting for a while. Its a 5" :sly

7.3 Ford Powerstroke 5 inch Exhaust Straight Pipe Kit : eBay Motors (item 220559653315 end time Feb-26-10 17:01:19 PST)

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bill. As long as you stay with Mandrel Bent pipe (No crush bends), one is as good as the other.

But for anyone who has to deal with Winter Road Salt.. Pipe material & thickness ought to be concidered ? Thats where the Priceing kinda comes in ?

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Just ordered "Glow Shift Guages and pillar combo" boost,trans temp and Pyro... good start ...

Magnaflo 4 inch proseries turboback... I think the 5 inch is way to big to go under my truck doesnt look like it would fit that good ... plus the 4inch is cheaper>>>

By the way Big boost is out ... Thanks

Do gauges need to be set, or ar they already set, or do I just need to know the high's? Thanks again :notworthy

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ordered "Glow Shift Guages and pillar combo" boost,trans temp and Pyro... good start ...

Magnaflo 4 inch proseries turboback... I think the 5 inch is way to big to go under my truck doesnt look like it would fit that good ... plus the 4inch is cheaper>>>

By the way Big boost is out ... Thanks

Do gauges need to be set, or ar they already set, or do I just need to know the high's? Thanks again :notworthy

Make sure you dont do what I did..unless you just want to- That mount is suppose to go on the EXISTING pillar. I lost the instructions and found them later when cleaning out my truck after I had the gauges installed. I rigged that mount up to where it is a full replacment and it looks allright. Only thing wrong is that there is a little bit of a gap at the base....I may or may not fix that issue:dunno

5" is not too big to go under any PSD. I've heard that 4" is plenty for EGT reduction and 5" is just overkill. But for $270 I'll get the extra inch:sly . Thats just my personal prefference, I'm not suggesting it. I also heard that its externally louder with the 5" which I like. I thought about bringing the exhaust out before the axle because when I'm working under my truck and see the big ass bend going around the axle it just drives me CRAZY:rant.

What do you mean Big boost is out?? Like they are sold out or the idea is out?

The gauges read what they get from the boost line and the temp probes. Just hook them up and go. There are no "Caution" or "Red line" areas indicated on the gauges. Pretty much for all I know, make sure the EGT gauge stays below 1200-1250. I'm not sure about the transmission temp operation limits, but I have an idea somewhere around 220* is about as high as you want it to go. When installing my gauges I needed extra wire for the trans temp gauge and about a 1' of extra boost line and an smt connector...bought them at lowes. I like the gauges because I can set them bright for showing out or something. But if I'm driving late at night, I change them to RED so its not a blinding light.

Here's the best video I've found on that turbo wheel replacment.......

POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

Last edited:

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Bill. As long as you stay with Mandrel Bent pipe (No crush bends), one is as good as the other.

But for anyone who has to deal with Winter Road Salt.. Pipe material & thickness ought to be concidered ? Thats where the Priceing kinda comes in ?

Good looking out BIG JOE.

Breverelib- considering that you do live up north, I'd go with the stainless system.

brevelerib

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What do you mean Big boost is out?? Like they are sold out or the idea is out?

The idea is out I think all these other Mods seem to make more sense at this time,,,,I am hear mixed reviews on the boost... I rather the wheel... By the way that is a grat video!!!

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Big Boost ? What IS that ?

Never heard of.... Big Boost :dunno

Are you refering to a Boost Pressure Relief Valve.. ??

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58