Modified a vehicle today

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
May I suggest a manual transmission.

NO way!! Imagine the clutches we would be replacing! Remember these would be operators that don’t know how to drive manual.

I would be HIGHLY tempted to wire in an engine shutdown switch when the tranny temp reaches a certain temp...........:dunno

I may suggest that but the vehicles are so old that they may not go for it. They bought the whole fleet back in 2000 (E350 vans and F350 pickups) with the life expectancy of 7 years. They have held up so well that they will be keeping them for a few more years. I will be sure to bring it up though.

i didnt realize they made two different automatics for the
250/350 SD....

Now that I think about it I was just assuming it was a different tranny, I will have a look under there. I thought it would have been the same 5.4L and tranny that they used in the F150 and the V10/Diesel got the bigger transmission.

you wouldnt be able to use the factory gauge for that...
probably would go a LONG way if these guys had a REAL
indication that things were getting hot.

I have told them that the factory transmission is a dummy guage and that is all, I didn’t get much response. Job security I guess.

mike k. -

friends of yours ??? -->
Semi Worth 100k Destroyed By Fire Video

Wow! I didn’t get to see our truck on fire in person but I heard it was burning for 3 hours straight. It was too far away for the fire department to get to it.

mile K-

what is the average temperature there right now? its surprising that the trans temps get that hot down there.

Dennis, I know what you are thinking, I thought the same thing when I first got here and they told me to pull over when the trannies overheated. Hell and when I first got here it was -25*F! It has warmed up quite a bit, the snow is just starting to melt.

whad did you guys haul that back on? looks like a sled, but it almost looks like a giant sheet of steel.

Yeah just a flat sheet of metal they call the Magic Carpet :) and they drag it back with this:
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/4879/dsc00518ak5.jpg

Remember it’s mostly snow and ice so it will have little to no rolling resistance.

did you guys think about upgrading the trans cooler to something like the 6.0 coooler? something BIGGER that what you've got.

dennis

Yeah I will be suggesting a few ideas that is for sure, I didn’t think the overheating was this bad.

Mike,

That is CRAZY!!!!

Time to call Brian and get them to ship some BTS Trannies to yall ;) and a HUGE Tranny cooler :D

No kidding! It’s the talk of the town :)

There is a member on here, but cant remember who, who's company his Dad work's for or owned, converts those very vehicles over to the Mattrax systems and they would do a few other things too.

There are some pics in the galleries somewhere.

Thanks for the link I will look into it later, with all of these replies it is almost time for work :)

bigger tranny cooler and an electric fan for the cooler, and a set of pillar gauges.

Electric fans would be a great idea too!

2 more pictures
dsc00503wf7.jpg

dsc00515wi5.jpg

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
The "Operators" can't drive stick?:dunno

I am sure a couple people would do just fine, after all we still have a few old military dueces left that have manuals in them and an old P&H crane that is manual but i would be willing to bet that the majority can't.

Some of the shuttle drivers had to GET thier drivers license just so they could get the job down here... as in... they never drove before. :roflmao

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Hey Mike, what I would like to know is this.

What has happened to the guy/girl that was driving that vehicle and did not heed your warnings to stop driving when the tranny temps started goin up?

Were they scolded, yelled at, fired, etc?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Jeez...talking about hard to get good help. Where I'm at, you don't have 2 years as a driver, don't bother knocking on the door. Too bad about the fire.

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet they don't know how to doulbe clutch the Dueces. Lots of grinding going on there.

Stephen, they took the person's bunny boots, and ECW gear away for a week. :roflmao

Keith

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
Hey Mike, what I would like to know is this.

What has happened to the guy/girl that was driving that vehicle and did not heed your warnings to stop driving when the tranny temps started goin up?

Were they scolded, yelled at, fired, etc?

Absolutly nothing happened to them. We were told that he is one of the untouchables (he has been here a long time) so its not his fualt and therefor must be our fault. There will be an investigation to find out what we did wrong.

Serriously.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
Absolutly nothing happened to them. We were told that he is one of the untouchables (he has been here a long time) so its not his fualt and therefor must be our fault. There will be an investigation to find out what we did wrong.

Serriously.

That sticks bad Mike. I hope all goes well with this for you. I know ya'll must have to keep repair/maintenance records to a T, so if you're covered in all the things you have done to the trucks, you should come out of this clean.

:thumbs

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Serriously.

Tell them the only thing you did wrong was give that guy the keys :roflmao

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14