modifying 94-95 timing cover for 96-up HPOP

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok heres some pictures and a little info.but DO NOT go trying to mod your covers till i get mine running first to be sure it works correctly.only thin we wont have that the 96-up have is the deaeration valve in the oil pump pickup.i dont think thats gonna matter.i should hopefully have it running by the end of the week.gonna see if i can test run it before installing the radiator and stuff to see if it leaks down over night.if it does i guess ill just have to yank it back out to swap covers.if it works properly this should be a much cheaper mod than the accumulator tank sold by NIT on TDS.

this modification is so simple its nuts that nobody figured this out before me.it will probably take about 2 hours to do this depending on your mechanical skills due to stock trucks haveing the fuel filter in the way of removing the hpop.

ok heres what you need for parts:

self tapping screw,not sure of size.i grabbed one from my screw drawer and it fit perfectly.the hole it goes into is the same size as the drilling part of the screw

red loctite for self tapper

rtv or silicone to seal the end of the screw inside the gear cavity

rags to stuff into the timing cover to catch metal shaveing and the end of the screw that gets cut off.

96-97 HPOP reservoir.the 94-95 reservoir can be modified if you can get drill bits long enough to do it.

96-up 3 hole HPOP gasket

96-up reservoir gasket,RTV or silicone could be used but need to make sure it doesnt block the stand pipe holes.

96-up HPOP

ill give full instructions after i get my truck running and make sure this works.if it does work i may need some help from someone to write a wiki article.my writing and explanations suck so this may need to be done over the phone.

heres all the un modded pics first,yall have already seen these but they go with this thread.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
and heres the modded pictures.still gotta do some tweaking to the gasket groove for the newer reservoir gasket

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
ok well i tried hoggin out the seal groove to use the 96-up reservoir gasket.it didnt turn out lik ei had hoped.so i tried using silicone,and as i thought would happen it blocked the standpipe hole.then i used the gray IH rtv.dont know how thats gonna work i have a feeling it will do the same as the silicone did and block the stand pipe.so tonight on my way home i got to thinking.you can drill the hole,hog out around it and use an O ring to seal it.then use RTV on the rest while still using the 94-95 reservoir gasket.

ill have pictures of what im thinking tomorrow as the motor is going in and hopefully fired up tomorrow night.i wont have my water pump till friday so i cant run it long but hopefully long enough to see if this is gonna work.gotta hit the ford dealer in the morning and get my oil dipstick and timing cover gasket set.i might as well have the gaskets just incase i end up haveing to swap covers.but again i see no reason this wont work

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
heres 2 more picture.the silicone and the gray RTV from hell kept plugging the stand pipe hole.so i cut the piece out of the gasket that seals the standpipe.

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
well so far it seems to be working.i got it running for few minutes(no water pump at the time)and let it sit for about 3 hours while i bolted my exhaust and other parts back on it and the level of oil in the reservoir did not drop at all.i wish i was able to drive it home tonight so i could check and update you guys in the morning but i have a few more thing to do to it.but i will update this tomorrow night for sure as i will check it again in the morning when i get to the shop before i do anyrhing with it.:sweet

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
Rich
very impressive,
you get a big :clap: :notworthy
makes me wish i had obs stroke to play with, hmm fathers day this weekend,

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
the one thing that sux about doing this is that if it doesnt work like expected i gotta yank the motor again to drop the oil pan and swap timing covers.but its worth it cuz us poor 94-95 guys are stuck in the dark ages as far as affordable big oil goes.unless they wish to swap timing covers or run the oil accumulator tank that NIT on TDS is selling for these trucks.i for one will not run an accumulator tank on my truck.cuz first,where the hell am i gonna put it?i dont even have room under the hood for the air compressor for my wanna be train horns never mind an oil tank.second i most likely wouldnt like the look of it.ive never seen what that setup looks like or costs.and third there is no need for it since this modification is so simple.a drill,self tapping screw,dremel with high speed cutter and the correct gaskets is all thats needed to do this.

after i finally figure out what had to modified it only took me about 15 minutes to do it.thats without trying a few different things that didnt work out too good.it will take longer to remove the reservoir,HPOP and fuel filter than it will to do the modification thats how simple this is.its retarded that nobody has figured this out before i did.and ive only been messing with the PSDs for a year.these other guys have been doin it for years.:dunno

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64