modifying 94-95 timing cover for 96-up HPOP

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
Radarman said:
I have not installed my accumilator tank, so I would like to volenteer to be the beta tester on this.

Question for you. You say that you will need:

Do you mean reservoir COVER?

Second q.. the hole you are drilling.. Is that a return for the SD Pump? I assume that the hole matches up with a port on the 97 cover, but does it look very hard to mod the cover as well?

Last q.. where are you drilling down to and how long a drill do we need?

I am ready to do this, and I can take some pics, host the pics and how-to on my web site. Heck, can I just call you?

Thanks in advance!
Chris

yes the reservoir cover.i already have all the pictures you need in this thread: http://www.superdutydiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4786 plus a little bit of instruction on doing it,hope this will answer some of your questions.i havent really posted much as far as instructions due to me waiting to see how long it will take to drain down and make sure the truck runs right(wich it should).to finish this up to write a how too i just gotta find the size of screw needed and the drill bit size.a normal length drill bit is all thats needed.i just forget what size it was.your gonna need the HPOP gasket and reservoir for the 96-up HPOP,and an Oring.or buy the reservoir gasket for the 96-up reservoir and either cut the gasket groove in the timing cover to make it fit or just cut the piece out of it like i did.i tried using silicone and the Gray RTV from international to seal the reservoir but it kept blocking the hole i drilled.

i will PM you my number and you v=can call me during the day.

ryanPSD

Living in Kallynogunforya
Reaction score
I have a spare new 96-up gasket if you need one let me know!

RocKrawler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hook a diesel newbie up... this appears to be a simple mod to benefit the oiling system, but for new people to diesels (like myself), please explain what HPOP stands for and what problem this solves. I am picking up my first diesel truck next week, a 95 PSD CCLBD and want to address any weaknesses right off the bat. I look forward to learning a lot about these trucks on this forum in the future.

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
HPOP= High Presure Oil Pump.most of us with the OBS(old body style) trucks upgrade the HPOP to one off of the super dutys with the humped rear cover.this gives more oil pressure to fire the injectors.

but on the 94 -95 power strokes when you put the 96-up HPOP on them the reservoir for the HPOP leaks down to empty within 3 days,some faster then others.this makes the truck very hard to start unless an accumulator system is used to pump oil into the reservoir before starting the truck.this modification makes that system unnecessary.its simple to do and on a stock truck it should only take about 1 1/2 hours to do it,maybe a little longer depending on the persons mechanical skills.

if you are trying to figure out the differences and what i did go back to the first page and look at the pictures again.the pretty blue motor is the 95 motor and the nasty greasy one is the 97 motor.

i know my explainations suck so if you still dont understand whats happenin here just ask and hopefully somebody can explain it better than me.any more questions just ask and ill try to answer them as best i can. :sweet :sweet

RocKrawler

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
94f450sd said:
HPOP= High Presure Oil Pump.most of us with the OBS(old body style) trucks upgrade the HPOP to one off of the super dutys with the humped rear cover.this gives more oil pressure to fire the injectors.

but on the 94 -95 power strokes when you put the 96-up HPOP on them the reservoir for the HPOP leaks down to empty within 3 days,some faster then others.this makes the truck very hard to start unless an accumulator system is used to pump oil into the reservoir before starting the truck.this modification makes that system unnecessary.

any more questions just ask and ill try to answer them as best i can. :sweet :sweet
OK, so this moification makes Accumulator system unnecessary, got that, but what benefit does the HPOP do as far as bumping oil pressure for the injectors... more power or better mileage? (Or both?) Will it work with the Banks system installed? Are there any downsides to the project?

A list of parts for a 94-95 owner would be helpful.. but it looks like that is in the works if I read the post correctly and your setup works.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
RocKrawler said:
what benefit does the HPOP do as far as bumping oil pressure for the injectors....
The Superduty HPOP does not do much of anything to a truck with stock injectors. Guys put on the Superduty HPOP when they upgrade there injectors. The bigger injectors require a little more oil than the stock HPOP can supply.

3-StarJ.R.

53 year old kid.....
Reaction score
Crumm said:
The Superduty HPOP does not do much of anything to a truck with stock injectors. Guys put on the Superduty HPOP when they upgrade there injectors. The bigger injectors require a little more oil than the stock HPOP can supply.

Kevin, it's off topic, but I got to ask if you have had to endure any more "tick inspections?"::roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao :roflmao

"ticks"

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
RocKrawler said:
OK, so this moification makes Accumulator system unnecessary, got that, but what benefit does the HPOP do as far as bumping oil pressure for the injectors... more power or better mileage? (Or both?) Will it work with the Banks system installed? Are there any downsides to the project?

A list of parts for a 94-95 owner would be helpful.. but it looks like that is in the works if I read the post correctly and your setup works.

yup,parts list and instructions are in the works ass soon as i get it running to make sure it runs like it should.just waiting for an injectors as one of mine took a dump on me

Radarman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok.. here goes. I have ordered the reseroir and gasket. Once they come in, I will be starting on this and will send pics and such of the install. Between the two of us, we should have a set of instruction and pics shortly.

here are the part numbers I ordered:
F6TZ-6658-AA - RESERVOIR ASSEMBLY - $124.99
F6TZ-6619-AA - GASKET - $4.99

I am thinking that we can modify a spade drill bit that will make a nice grove for the standpipe. If it works, I will include a pic of that as well.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romie64