More Diesel Woes for Ford?

bigdiesel99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt ford take the eninge and then change the engine all around ( PCM settings and so forth. )

When internationals 6.0 first came out it had only 1/4 of the problems that fords 6.0 had. So I would think the warranty problems are more to fords part then internationals?

I think you are exacty right, but international has a hand in it also or they would not let ford do it and put bad name out their for their engines i would think:confused: . I am still optomistic that ford will divorce its self frome International and Go with CAT or maybe someone else but if there was yellow under the hood i would probally take out a second mortage to have one:)

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I have been saying all along that Cat needs to make a diesel to accomodate the pick ups. They have the technology and ability, but the big three are feeling well with what they got. Personally Cat pickups would sell like like no other.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
The warranty issues based on just the engine are surely Navistars problem as well as Ford's. Its easy to blame Ford for all the problems with the 6 liter, but they didn't machine faulty bed-plates. And that , I will guarantee, is the biggest part of the warrantee issues. Throw in some injector issues, rear main seal leaks, and some examples of crankshafts walking, and...well, you get the picture. Now add weak head gaskets, aftermarket parts, a little "High Spiritedness" by some owners, and you have a recipe for disaster. Mine has been good, but I've seen some real tanks. EGR issues, leaky hoses, faulty wiring, etc. can be a P.I.T.A., but can be sorted out. A main bearing web [bed-plate] thats not machined properly isn't something that can be repaired. The new truck is a real beauty, but I can't imagine buying one until the 2nd or 3rd year. :sorry Ford.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Cat has been unwilling to get into the pick up truck market in the past. I would be surprised if they got into it at this time, but I would welcome it.

Dave

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cat's closest offering for the PU world would have to have been the old 3208 Engine... nothing all that terribly exciting, and not majorly rebuildable. We have one in our one tanker, but it's okay. I heard that some point in time back in the early mid 90's that someone put a 3208 into a F Super Duty as a conversion from factory. Never saw it, so I can't say if it was for real or not.

International makes a decent engine, I think with rush to market and the budget cut generation that we're under due to an overpopulation of bean counters, has caused most of this. Intl has to give buy in to Ford as to how much they can modify and what has to stay the same. I would think, and I truly hope they did, do their homework on the 6.4. If they did not, then I think it's gonna be lights out for both of them.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
Ford is having major problems...its no secret they are looking for a partner.If this new engine isn't the Holy Grail of small diesel's or if they can't get it to market due to supply problems....:eek: :eek: :eek:

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
and this is why i bought a 7.3l i knew the 6l sucked, and that they didnt really have a good truck planned for the future

powerstrokeguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been saying all along that Cat needs to make a diesel to accomodate the pick ups. They have the technology and ability, but the big three are feeling well with what they got. Personally Cat pickups would sell like like no other.

well guess what, i the latest issue of diesel power mag they said cat has finally made an engine to work in light duty trucks! i cant wait to see where it goes. if ford and international cant work this out hmmmm......wouldnt that be nice! Ford caterpillar, leavin the duramax and cummins in its dust! that would be sweet!:thumbs

Fine69

Reaction score
well guess what, i the latest issue of diesel power mag they said cat has finally made an engine to work in light duty trucks! i cant wait to see where it goes. if ford and international cant work this out hmmmm......wouldnt that be nice! Ford caterpillar, leavin the duramax and cummins in its dust! that would be sweet!:thumbs

I know I'd buy one!!:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58