Motorcraft vs. Fram Oil Filters

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm in Sprawl-Mart this weekend picking up Synthetic Rotella-T (Some change for a Mobil-1 user) and I'm looking at the Super-Duty oil filters by Motorcraft and Fram. Out of the box they appear to be the same, both have an o-ring, both are made in Germany, both have felt on the base. There is a price difference, with the Fram being less expensive.

When I change my oil (very soon, and for the first time) I will be adding a by-pass filter. Are there any feelings one way or the other on these two filter choices, or is there another player I should consider? And price isn't the driver.

This sure doesn't seem like much of a filter for 15 quarts. Ford has a two quart version of the PH-8A, now that was a filter!

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Fram's okay for the old chevy 350 but the 6.0L PowerStroke without question should get Motorcraft regardless of price :sweet

I use Purolators exclusively on the 7.3L's but unsure if they're available for the 6.0L stroker :dunno

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive bought and used the Motorcraft & Fram filters at
walmart...Ive measured 'em and examined 'em about as
much as anyone can...i can tell ZERO diff visually or by
measurements.

and NONE of my blackstone lab oil tests have shown any
ill effects from using any of these filters (including
the WIX/NAPA Golds)....fwiw ive tested EVERY single
oil change since new (every 5k miles).

I say buy the cheapest you can find as long as it meets
the spec & size.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
X-Hibition said:
So I'm in Sprawl-Mart this weekend picking up Synthetic Rotella-T (Some change for a Mobil-1 user) and I'm looking at the Super-Duty oil filters by Motorcraft and Fram. Out of the box they appear to be the same, both have an o-ring, both are made in Germany, both have felt on the base. There is a price difference, with the Fram being less expensive.

When I change my oil (very soon, and for the first time) I will be adding a by-pass filter. Are there any feelings one way or the other on these two filter choices, or is there another player I should consider? And price isn't the driver.

This sure doesn't seem like much of a filter for 15 quarts. Ford has a two quart version of the PH-8A, now that was a filter!
The big difference is Fram comes in plastic wrap [because its re-packaged] and the Motorcraft is thrown in box, loose, with O rings, dust, and instructions. Oh, and the Fram is about $3.00 cheaper. :D

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang, if you look at the filters they appear identical. On the base both say they are Made in Germany. There are other markings on the base of the Motorcraft, but otherwise identical.

F350DRW1, all the filters but one Fram were all wrapped in plastic. New inventory or old I don't know. And the Fram was about five bucks cheaper.

So short of testing at the sub-atomic level, they might just be the same. Although there could be two manufacturers in Germany making them. The good one and the bad one.

Hard to argue with bushpilot, that experience says a lot. I'm just hoping to get opinions, information, sales pitches, anything.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
My main concern with the 6.0L is the stringent warranty rules,guidelines,etc and don't want to recommend anything other than OEM when it comes to an important item like the Oil/Fuel filters.;tu

I've seen more testing with the 7.3L's Oil/Fuel filters and have more to go on than the 6.0's so I'll let the more experienced 6.0 owners that have experimented/tested/evaluated with off brand filters to fill in the blanks:D :sweet

From my understanding/readings going back several years that the Motorcraft filters are manufactured by Purolator.If you go by your parts store(I go to Pep Boys for my Oil Filters) look for Purolator # L45515 and Motorcraft # FL-2016 to do a side by side comparison of similarities.:sweet

I may roll out to the store with the camera to see if they're both in stock.This has got my interest now.

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang, I appreciate your concern regarding anything other than OEM filters, but you are then dealing with a "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" issue.

"Meets or exceeds OEM" has always been the hallmark of the aftermarket, and I would be amused to see a manufacturer deny a claim based on a Fram filter. Especially since there is at least the possibility that the Fram and the Motorcraft are being built on the same line.

Having had absolutely no problems (yet), maybe my opinion will change when I have to do battle regarding a warranty claim.

I would still like to hear from someone whether or not the Motorcraft and the Fram are built in the same plant in Germany. I know Fram re-boxes to a certain extent, I have seem "Made in Israel" and "Made in Japan" on different filters from them.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
bushpilot said:
and NONE of my blackstone lab oil tests have shown any
ill effects from using any of these filters (including
the WIX/NAPA Golds)....fwiw ive tested EVERY single
oil change since new (every 5k miles).
Speaking of Blackstone are they behind in sending out the sample bottles as I been waiting a couple weeks.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
My main concern with the 6.0L is the stringent warranty rules,guidelines,etc and don't want to recommend anything other than OEM when it comes to an important item like the Oil/Fuel filters.;tu

I've seen more testing with the 7.3L's Oil/Fuel filters and have more to go on than the 6.0's so I'll let the more experienced 6.0 owners that have experimented/tested/evaluated with off brand filters to fill in the blanks:D :sweet
I'd say by looking at X-mans signature he'll have more problems with engine mods than his oil filter in the event of a warranty issue. But thats just my 2 cents. As far as filters, the only one I've used that I won't use again is Purolater. The top piece that snaps into the cap is seperate from the main body of the filter and seems a little cheezy. The new Amsoil 6.0 filter is nice, but pricey. Wal-mart discontinued the Motorcraft filters a while ago, then brought them back. I bought 6 a year ago for $5.00 a piece. They were in the dime rack, and I couldn't resist. I still don't see the difference between them and Fram, except for the price difference. A survey on who uses what would be cool. -popcorn

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58