Motorcraft vs. Fram Oil Filters

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does Racor build the filter for Motorcraft, Fram, Cornbinder, any/others?

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil Filters

Years ago, I took a hacksaw to a Fram, Napa, and Wix filter which fit on my 428 Ford. Wix had more material, and looked to be the better filter. I would suggest taking a sawsall or hacksaw and cutting the Fram, Purolator, Wix, and what ever filter you use and compare them. I purchased Donaldson, because they were factory replacements. I have only had one filter change, at 3000 miles, because it was my first change, and did not want to run it 5000 miles before the first change. The original filter said "made in Germany". I plan on 5000 mile changes in the future, and will be cutting them in half to check them out if I change to Purolator or something else. I still have only around 4000 miles on my truck, and have not run it in about 30 days. I just got back from a Alaska cruise, and recommend it to everyone.:thumbs

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your 428 took a Fram PH8-A that you needed a hacksaw to take apart, our 6.0s have a very exposed filter.

I have seen the "Made in Germany" on the two (Motorcraft and Fram) examples at the store which is what started my search for information on these, or other appropriate filters.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have been running Motorcraft and WIX filters and they both say "Made in Germany" on them. I suspect they all come out of the same factory.

Dave

Shadow_Grey

Comfortably Numb
Reaction score
Greatest Nation on Earth! You don't like it, LEAVE
I looked at my local Walmart and I found that the Fram filter says it is made in USA while the Motorcraft one says it is made in Germany. Both have the same Pat. Pending number and look to be the same. Could be maybe Fram contracted out their assembly (shrinkwrap filter, O ring and instruction, then put in orange box) to be in the USA while Motorcraft still has them from Germany. I don't know.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
I have been running Motorcraft and WIX filters and they both say "Made in Germany" on them. I suspect they all come out of the same factory.

Dave

the filters themselves are NOT made in germany...those stamps are
for the end caps which are made in germany...but the filter itself
is likely assembled here in the USA

the pat. numbers on the end caps are for the design of the end
caps and the oil filter houseing...they really have little if anything
to do w/ the filter.

most filters are made by wix, there are some questions as to who
is making the fuel filters...racor or wix...but the general agreement
is make sure your filters are properly sized (there was a problem
w/ some "shorter" oil filters & some frame-rail fuel filters that
did not have the outer wrap on them.)

Heres information about the patent numbers & some research
ive done (since i bought my truck): PATENT NUMBER INFO LINK

for some more HISTORY read this FULL thread @ the other site

heres some history on the filters/changes too: LINK

Last edited:

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brain Fade...

Yep.... must be jet lag. or old age or both. Yes all my Fords use PH8A filters, except for the two diesel trucks we have. It is scarry when I think about that I change my oil and oil filters, and forgot that the 6.0 was not a PH8A hard can filter. Getting old is the pits..:(

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
X-Hibition said:
Your 428 took a Fram PH8-A that you needed a hacksaw to take apart, our 6.0s have a very exposed filter.

I have seen the "Made in Germany" on the two (Motorcraft and Fram) examples at the store which is what started my search for information on these, or other appropriate filters.
I looked at a Purolator over the weekend, and they now have 1 that looks like the others. 1 piece, light green in color, appears well made. Rubber grommet on bottom. Anyone try this 1 yet? Its amazing how many filters there are with this being the only application.

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350DRW1, you mention a rubber grommet on the bottom of the Purolator but I have only seen felt. And I have read elsewhere about people getting worked up about just that issue.

Is it an issue?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58