Motorcraft vs. Fram Oil Filters

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CHPMustang said:
Speaking of Blackstone are they behind in sending out the sample bottles as I been waiting a couple weeks.

couldnt tell you...ive got at least 2 dozen bottles in the garage...
they double shipped me a bunch of empties while i was moving.

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the input, but before Blackstone comments pull us off course I would still like to hear from someone with regard to the Fram/Motorcraft filters. Same manufacturing plant, same specs, is there a better filter?

Inquiring minds want to know.

F350DRW1, I'm glad you are worried about my mods presenting a warranty issue. Not knowing anything about my driving habits this may help you.

I don't expect to have any warranty issues as a result of an intake, and the tuner has never been off of stock. It may someday, but I buy my own tires and have gotten past smoke shows. I don't race. I'm looking for the economy/performance balance, longevity being a key issue. That is why I'll be adding the by-pass filter and a coolant filter. There shouldn't be anything in my signature or my postings that would cause a warranty concern.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WIX is the largest filter mfg & builds filters for just about everyone.
there were some issues where some manufactures were taking short
cuts in their filter "building"...

theyre easy to notice (nearly solid plastic center/core) and the filters
were SHORTER than the original filters...a quick side by side comparison
will be easily noticed...other wise (at least when comparing oil filters)
theyre all the same.

the same is true for the trans bypass filter (looks like a roll of toilet paper)

the fuel filter set has some issues too...some were not wraped w/ the white
outer "media"...but again the diff. between these filters is EASILY identified,
buy the cheapest one that meets the spec.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
X-Hibition said:
I appreciate all the input, but before Blackstone comments pull us off course I would still like to hear from someone with regard to the Fram/Motorcraft filters. Same manufacturing plant, same specs, is there a better filter?

Inquiring minds want to know.

F350DRW1, I'm glad you are worried about my mods presenting a warranty issue. Not knowing anything about my driving habits this may help you.

I don't expect to have any warranty issues as a result of an intake, and the tuner has never been off of stock. It may someday, but I buy my own tires and have gotten past smoke shows. I don't race. I'm looking for the economy/performance balance, longevity being a key issue. That is why I'll be adding the by-pass filter and a coolant filter. There shouldn't be anything in my signature or my postings that would cause a warranty concern.
I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, Sir. Or questioning your modifications or motives for having those modifications. My truck is far from stock. Ford has used mods as a means to dodge warranty issues. My comment wasn't a slight towards you, your truck or your driving habits.

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
F350DRW1, my friend there are no worries. I only offered the information so you could be of more help to me. I could be injecting nitrous, propane, and methanol while burning all four tires street racing Accords. Or I could be babying my Super Duty never accelerating more than four hundred RPM past idle.

My information was just that, information. I enjoy the discussions in this forum. Just like in life, not everything is for me.

So who is our insider that can bust open the filter question? I've heard from over the road guys that they like Wix, but it sounds like those aren't the answer for the 6.0. Anyone else?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
X-Hibition said:
F350DRW1, my friend there are no worries. I only offered the information so you could be of more help to me. I could be injecting nitrous, propane, and methanol while burning all four tires street racing Accords. Or I could be babying my Super Duty never accelerating more than four hundred RPM past idle.

My information was just that, information. I enjoy the discussions in this forum. Just like in life, not everything is for me.

So who is our insider that can bust open the filter question? I've heard from over the road guys that they like Wix, but it sounds like those aren't the answer for the 6.0. Anyone else?
The Motorcraft and Fram look the same as the Wix. The 2 that stand out to me, at least, are the Purolater because its 2 piece and the Amsoil. I may buy an Amsoil and give it a shot. They say 25k running their synthetic and their filter. I"ll run it next change with Rotella 5-40 syn. and see what it looks like in 5k. I have used the Amsoil 15w-40 Marine, and its good stuff. Just can't justify the expence. 15 quarts of that and the new Amsoil filter would be $100.00 oil change :eek:

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was waiting for some Amsoil input.

With the by-pass I'll be adding I know I can extend the drain time (with samples and testing) and it will be an adjustment for me.

I thought I read that the Amsoil filter doesn't meet OE specs (not trying to start a fight).

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not run extended oil changes w/OUT periodic sampling...
blackstone charges 19 bucks per sample and will "talk" about
extended use of oils.

bypass filtering, of any kind, would be nice...but be CERTAIN that
you arent restricting/robbing flow or pressure.

heres one persons opinions about filters for our trucks....
A Word About Filters

Last edited:

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
X-Hibition said:
I was waiting for some Amsoil input.

With the by-pass I'll be adding I know I can extend the drain time (with samples and testing) and it will be an adjustment for me.

I thought I read that the Amsoil filter doesn't meet OE specs (not trying to start a fight).
Well, the oil doesn't either if you want to get right down to it. Not that it isn't a good product, it is. The 15w-40 marine is a great oil. I have looked at the filter, and I'm going to run one and see. But I'm not too worried about experimenting. I have mixed oils, done partial changes, dumped in 1 1/2 new gallons [fumoto valve]and changed filters only between extended oil changes. These engines have some issues, but they are not fragile. At least mine isn't. Which by-pass you going to use?

X-Hibition

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the Oil-Guard. I don't have the information in front of me but there was another one I was looking at but the return went in to the drain plug. Hard to shop for the Amsoil products since everyone is supposed to become a dealer.

The Oil-Guard return in to the oil fill seems like a nice, clean solution. Plus one more piece of red anodized aluminum for extra engine compartment bling.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14