MPG question

jpringle83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my '05 is consistently in the 14s with the stock tires and wheels regardless of tunes and I'd like to know how you other guys are calculating your mpg because i've never heard of a stroke getting that kind of mileage. :hail

Last edited:

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
Do you have 4.10's or 3.73's ??

I've got the factory 3.73's and around town I get about 14, and on the highway I get about 15.5-16 and this is with 38.5" tires.

I ALWAYS calculate my mileage by hand, I fill the tank up till I can see the fuel in the filler neck, reset my miles and then drive, refill to the same spot, then divide miles by gallons of fuel to fill up on second fill. My mileage is usually within .75 MPG of what it says on the dash display.

bigmike33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get about 14-15 miles to the gallon on the Extreme Mode on my Edge Module around town! I have factory tires also.

Last edited:

06PSDROCK

Big Chief
Reaction score
Lance,
I am in the similar boat as you. I am getting around 12-13 in town and 13-14 on the highway. I do have 325/60/18 (33-13.50) tires with 4" turbo back no Cat, Zoodad, and an Airaid replacement filter. I do not have a tuner and the speedometer is only about a mph off. So the calculations are pretty close. If someone has any suggestions I am listening too. (I know the tires have an affect on this too).

lanceparker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Do you have 4.10's or 3.73's ??

I've got the factory 3.73's and around town I get about 14, and on the highway I get about 15.5-16 and this is with 38.5" tires.

I ALWAYS calculate my mileage by hand, I fill the tank up till I can see the fuel in the filler neck, reset my miles and then drive, refill to the same spot, then divide miles by gallons of fuel to fill up on second fill. My mileage is usually within .75 MPG of what it says on the dash display.

3.73's in the rear, automatic trans

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always calculate my mpg by hand and after driving at least 200 miles. I have a manual transmission, 3.73 gears, and stock 18 inch tires. I do not accelerate fast, and cruise at 2000 rpm which is 70 mph. Our truck is an 06. I purchased it from the factory and drive it like a old man. I have read that you have to drive it like you stole it, but I have never done that and so far 11,500 miles, I have not had any problems. Adding larger tires, raising the truck, jackrabbit starts, would all reduce your mpg. Others on this site get the same mileage as I do, so it must be other factors why you get lower fuel mileage.

GO BIG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am using the computer read out which seems to be correct +/- 1MPG. I get close to 425/450 miles per take depending on how long I sit at the pump waiting for the foam to drop.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score

ditto: i have 3.73 and am lucky on a good day to do 330/tank, mostly 280-300 miles per tank:dunno

acjjkamp

Blitz and Harley
Reaction score
mine is all stock, 4x4, 3.73

I've been getting consitant 12 in town,
18 hwy,
7-11 towing (12K)

lanceparker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am usually in the 330 to 350 range, I would like to be in the 400 to 450 range. Shouldn't the SCT tuner help with mileage though? In every other diesel truck I have owned putting a tuner on is has helped tremendously and that has not been the case with this truck. Is there another chip/tuner on the market that is better for getting fuel economy numbers other than the SCT? Is the SCT mainly for performance (hp & torque) gains and not fuel economy? Speaking from my last experience with an 03 Duramax I gained 3-4 mpg by putting a superchips tune on it. I was expecting the same thing with this truck and the SCT. Am I doing something wrong here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58