MPG question

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 is getting between 14-16 depending on my foot,
This is empty never checked it pulling my 16' hudson and my deer.

Maby do that sometime

INTERNATIONALPOWER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ran a test on my truck to see what mpg i was getting.

Note: I used the same filling location every fill up.

Starting Mileage: 63062
Ending Mileage: 67835
Total Miles: 4773
Total Gallons: 287.9

Avg. MPG 16.57

I wanted to run 10k on the test but a trip to Buhl, ID last week messed it up.

I will try and get my numbers for my trip.

dad2eajn

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i own 07 6.0 added edge tuner was getting 16 mph after adding 5 inch turbo back mbrp system i am geeting 22.4 mph

bling821

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be a little late but I'm running with 35/12.50's and your mileage seems to be in line with what I get. I did a trip to Texas and saw maybe 16 at best. I don't know if your tuner corrects the odometer for the tire diameter. You might want to drive around with a GPS to get a better estimate on actual mileage. Either way without a tuner and a straight 4" pipe and 35's we seem to be getting about the same. I have started running B20 and haven't checked the numbers yet on it.

The only thing that would get the numbers close to 17 would be a $2000+ differential swap but I figured it out and it wouldn't pay for itself for a few years. It might pay for itself sooner if the prices keep going up but I need that money for the diesel. Either way I'm skrewed. I should rip all of that crap out and put the stock back on but it looks way to cool.

lanceparker

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i own 07 6.0 added edge tuner was getting 16 mph after adding 5 inch turbo back mbrp system i am geeting 22.4 mph

I have never heard of any exhaust kit adding that kind of numbers to anyones mileage. That would mean with a 300-700 exhaust kit you would save $45.25 per fill up and that the exhaust kit would therefore pay for it self in 6.6 to 15.5 fill ups. Which in my case would mean at max 2 1/2 months. Those numbers just seem a little to unrealistic to be true especially for that kind of gain with on adding an exhaust kit with no other mod or drastic change in driving style.

Just my opinion.

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am usually in the 330 to 350 range, I would like to be in the 400 to 450 range. Shouldn't the SCT tuner help with mileage though? In every other diesel truck I have owned putting a tuner on is has helped tremendously and that has not been the case with this truck. Is there another chip/tuner on the market that is better for getting fuel economy numbers other than the SCT? Is the SCT mainly for performance (hp & torque) gains and not fuel economy? Speaking from my last experience with an 03 Duramax I gained 3-4 mpg by putting a superchips tune on it. I was expecting the same thing with this truck and the SCT. Am I doing something wrong here.

My range empty at 70 mph is 2072 miles. :lmao

That is if I used every drop of my main 38 gallon tank, and every drop of my 74 gallon in bed tank. (not going to happen).

Leaving 5 gallons in the aux tank and 4 gallons in the main tank a more realistic range is 1,900 miles. That is figuring 18.5 mpg which I get at 70 mph.
:D

Last edited:

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old 6.0 with 60k miles on it was consistently getting 18-19 mpg running 70. It was CCSB 4x4 with an automatic. It was a 3.73 truck with factory 20s leveled with 350 blocks out back.

It just seemed to take some time to get mileage. It did have full turbo back with no kitty as well. No intake or anything chip wise with those numbers.

mwalls54

Tex
Reaction score
well i have a 06 cc swb fx4 with 4"turbo back, drop in airaid filter and superchips tuner and 285/70s and i average 15-16 no matter how i drive. i get it around town or on the highway running 70-85.

rebelranger

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
05 Lariat four door, auto, I'll get 22mpg at 67 mph. I'll get 20.8 at 70mph. I was even asked if that is only on the dash or do I have records by the dealer mech. I bought out my fuel log and he was blown away, asking what I do and I told him, run factory height tires, drive the speed limit, run a straight pipe, and don't drive hard...ever. Now towing I get 8mpg at 60 and 9mpg at 65, I dont know why it is that way but it does get better mpg at 65.

FiremanEmt198

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I had a sensor changed on my fuel rail shortly after I got my 06 long bed cc 250. My milage plummeted from 18 to 16 mpg, was this mechanic error or break in ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58