My last truck was a 6.9er

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
How many of you guys have or had a 6.9 or 7.3 IDI? My last truck was an 83 F250 reg cab 4x4 with a granny 4 speed and 3.55 gears. Had 103,000 when I bought it($800), pulled BIG(did I mention BIG?) horse trailers. Had to pull the heads to extricate the heads of most all of my glowplugs, cylinders still had the crosshatching in them.:thumbs Had to put another rear axle housing under it because it trashed a bearing and the guy just threw new bearings at it instead of fixing or replacing the housing end. Did I mention she was turned up??:D :D That truck was sweet, leave me some info on what ya got/had.

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I had a 1993 IDI and it as a great truck. Underpowered by today's standards, but it was a lot better than the gas motors of the time. I got 15 mpg and I had no major problems with the truck the entire time I owned it. I never turned it up, but a new pump made all of the difference in the world.

Dave

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
Mine was a monster! One time I was pulling logs off of my Dad's trailer with it in 4Hi in the grass, one log caught on the trailer and my 6.8 started dragging my Dad's 93 IDI, the trailer, and all the wood still on the trailer, it never even lugged!! The truck and trailer is about 9,000lbs, and who knows how much the wood weighed, all I know is that those old IDI's have my respect!!:notworthy :notworthy :thumbs

Dave

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Been about 20 years since my last 6.9L which was in the '85 Dually 4x2 pulling a 18' beavertail loaded with a Ditch Witch and two Case Maxi cable pullers.:sweet

The exhaust smoked like a mutha under throttle but it towed very well:cool:

Bill :cowboy:

towcat

mouse hunter
Reaction score
I don't have to "look back".....I'm still stuck there :D and damn happy about it too! It's my CA to TX commuter, and it does a fine job at it too! Got most of the mechanical bells and whistles and a little more...just waiting on the propane :eek: Underpowered.....nope....plays well with the more "intelligent" diesels in a real world setting. Only two electrical items to worry about. Juice to the IP and juice to the starter....no brain. no pain. :thumbs

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
bought new dec 91 ,,1992 7.3 idi
turned up the pump, new inj, at 85k, gp harness at 100k
added banks kit at 90k, mpg jumped to 15
from 14 i had 4.10 gears in a f250 hd 4x4 supercab. I think that era of body styles was the best looking, especially teh crew cab F250 in later years before the new super duty body came out .

traded her in for a 2002 , dec 01
i miss em both
but i like my tow boss to
if we could had the higher tow rating with the 7.3 and a 5 speed auto it would have been perfect

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
I have an 85 f250 with the 6.9 waiting to hit the road.:D Coming soon is a 91 F350 with a 7.3. I need it for the utility body. plus a great price.:thumbs

Dieselfever

Cummins Monkey
Reaction score
My first truck was an '88 F250 Regular cab long bed with a 7.3IDI and a 4-speed. I bought it off my Algebra II teacher for $1200, didn't have it 6 months and sold it for $2300, cause I didn't feel like fixing everything on it when it broke

-Michael

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
Dieselfever said:
My first truck was an '88 F250 Regular cab long bed with a 7.3IDI and a 4-speed. I bought it off my Algebra II teacher for $1200, didn't have it 6 months and sold it for $2300, cause I didn't feel like fixing everything on it when it broke

-Michael

HAHA, well, I did wind up fixing ALOT on my truck, but the work I did on it impressed the guy tht's now my boss! To me all the work on it was well worth it!:thumbs

Dave

NVCowboy

NVCowboy
Reaction score
One of my riding partners is still driving a last year for the 6.9 regular cab, 4x4. Its not fast, but damn what a fun project truck it would make. Drop a flat bed on it, front bumper replacement, cab lights, exhaust, intake, and that's it. What was the name of the member who just won a chunk of some lottery somewhere?

:cowboy:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58