Question My truck sucks at towing, and here's why

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
The CG/CB on yer trailer needs to be adjusted.
Roughly, it should be: 60% of the load on the trailer axles.. 40% on the pin/ball.. then.. the WDH should be adjusted to distribute the 40% between the tow vehicles axles, via the torx bars, bringing the pitch of the ball.. level.. when the tow vehicle and trailer are (measured) level.. when loaded and ready for travel.

Not trying to start anything, but I've always been taught that you should have no more than 15% of the trailer's weight on the tongue. Where did you learn the 40/60? Even with our fifth wheel, there should be no more than 20% of the trailer's weight on the pin.

Perhaps THIS TT weight calculator could be of help..

BTW: HERE is an awesome write-up on setting up a Reese weight distribution hitch. Very detailed.

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to start anything, but I've always been taught that you should have no more than 15% of the trailer's weight on the tongue. Where did you learn the 40/60? Even with our fifth wheel, there should be no more than 20% of the trailer's weight on the pin.

Perhaps THIS TT weight calculator could be of help..

BTW: HERE is an awesome write-up on setting up a Reese weight distribution hitch. Very detailed.

[Roughly] was a bad choice of words. My point was, the CG/CB, and it's effect.

The WDH should, if adjusted properly.. divide the X%, between the front & rear axles of the tow vehicle... more weight on the Rear Axel, than on the Front. (Using your %'s, say 15 on the front..35 on the rear)

But at this point.. is where we get into the tow vehicle Wheel Base, it's GCVWR, Tire size & construction and Tire psi.. per tire, per axle, SRW/DRW.

Bottom line ? Setting up a WDH, verses a Fifth wheel plate.. is Apples & Oranges.. and should be done by the Professionals. Or.. using the information on the Links you provided, being very precise and attentive to mounting detail during an install.

[THEN] the owner/operator needs to be attentive to detail when distributing the load.. when loading all the STUFF, Momma & the Kids think they Absolutely Halfta take along... Dads stuff is, of course, mandatory STUFF, and Not Negotiable. ;):D:sly

Joe

Last edited:

SD70M

SuperDuty
Reaction score
Bottom line ? Setting up a WDH, verses a Fifth wheel plate.. is Apples & Oranges.. and should be done by the Professionals. Or.. using the information on the Links you provided, being very precise and attentive to mounting detail during an install.

Joe

Understood Joe...

My only reason for bringing up the 20% pin weight for fifth wheels, was purely for reference/informational purposes..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood Joe...

My only reason for bringing up the 20% pin weight for fifth wheels, was purely for reference/informational purposes..

;tu

This stuff gits Real Hard to exsplain.. in general terms.. Real Quick.

Joe

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When in doubt go to your local RV dealer and have them look at the setup.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When in doubt go to your local RV dealer and have them look at the setup.

....and having your [loaded and ready to go] rig weighed (on a Cat scale) will help them asses it.

Last edited:

mp18d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about 50# in the trailer tires...All of our ranch type trailers run 235-85x16s with 80# in them. We routinely haul max weights of stuff with no problems in both the 350flatbed and the sb.

Fully sounds like tire issues to me...But often am I wrong!

Mike

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My trailer with a 7000# gross has C-range tires on it that have a max of 50psi. That's not unusual for smaller trailers.

bigrigr

Real trks hv 3 pdls
Reaction score
I have read this thread a couple of times and i hope i didn't miss something, but is the truck level when hooked up as well? i believe you mentioned the trailer was almost level, but if the truck isn't level, it will unload the front tires and cause the steering to be wierd also. The airbags on the rear are essential when towing imo. The truck AND trailer should be level for the most control. Jl has a good thought too, and i would add to it by saying when you have the tie rods loose, and your swinging the knuckles side to side, check the ball joints for binding as well. Even new ball joints can be to tight if they are tightened up to much. That would make it wander all over because the steering doesn't return to center on it's own Good luck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58