Question My truck sucks at towing, and here's why

02SilverStroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm curious about 50# in the trailer tires...all of our ranch type trailers run 235-85x16s with 80# in them. We routinely haul max weights of stuff with no problems in both the 350flatbed and the sb.

Fully sounds like tire issues to me...but often am i wrong!

Mike
x2

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about 50# in the trailer tires...All of our ranch type trailers run 235-85x16s with 80# in them. We routinely haul max weights of stuff with no problems in both the 350flatbed and the sb.

Fully sounds like tire issues to me...But often am I wrong!

Mike

Every tire has a Max Load rateing @ XX psi. A given.

But that doesn't mean, we need to run tires, at thier Max PSI.

Weigh the vehicle, and/or trailer..Get a known GVW, or GCVW, Go to the Tire Manufactures chart, for the SPECIFIC tire you have.. The chart will tell you what PSI should be in EACH tire.. for the known GVW, or GCVW.

Example:

With 6 Goodyear GS647 RSS, 285 16's on the 350, and 4 Goodyear SRA, 285 16's on the 5r. All have a Max load rateing of 3042 lbs, single @ 80 psi, or 2778 lbs, dual @ 80 psi.

A Cat scale tag tells me that our "Rig".. has a GCVW of 18840 lbs:

4040 lbs on the front axle

5980 lbs on the drive axle (DRW's)

8820 lbs on the 2 5r axels

The Goodyear tire Load~PSI chart, for these SPECIFIC tires tells me to run:

68 psi per tire on the front axle (I run 70)

55 psi per tire on the DRW drive axle (I run 60)

65 psi per tire on the 5r axles (I run 68)

Sooo.. I'm at, but a bit above what the Tire Manufacture recommends.. for their SPECIFIC tire.

Make any sence :dunno

Joe

Last edited:

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every tire has a Max Load rateing @ X psi. A given.

But that doesn't mean, you need to run the Max PSI.

Weigh the vehicle, or trailer..Get a known GVW, or GCVW, Go to the Tire Manufactures chart, for the SPECIFIC tire you have.. The chart will tell you what PSI should be in EACH tire.. for the known GVW, or GCVW.

Example: With 6 Goodyear GS647 RSS, 285 16's on the 350, and 4 Goodyear SRA, 285 16's on the 5r.

Cat scale tag tells me the "Rig" has a GCVW of 18840 lbs:

8820 lbs 0n the 5r axels

65 psi per tire on the 5r axles (I run 70)

Joe

YES

BUt I see people do this all the time do this. They see the tire max psi is 75 psi and they go to that point, but there not taking in that the tire will heat up 5 to 10 degs. running down the road. My 5ther has tr205/75/R15 D
and the max psi is 75 but I run 55psi it works well.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YES

BUt I see people do this all the time do this. They see the tire max psi is 75 psi and they go to that point, but there not taking in that the tire will heat up 5 to 10 degs. running down the road. My 5ther has tr205/75/R15 D
and the max psi is 75 but I run 55psi it works well.

;tu Absolutly.

I've Never run Max psi, but Never run less than what the maker sez... on thier charts. I run mine a little high.. but get REAL GOOD service life.. and here in the Cali summer heat (100+).. they run a bit cooler. (An Infrared temp gun will show you some stuff... about that;))

The recommended tire psi on the truck door is a good [Reference] too. But when & if you change Brands/style'n type.... it's a whole new ball game.

The Tire Manufactures Load~PSI Charts are the Way To Go.. IMO & JMO.

Joe

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Every tire has a Max Load rateing @ XX psi. A given.

But that doesn't mean, we need to run tires, at thier Max PSI.

Weigh the vehicle, and/or trailer..Get a known GVW, or GCVW, Go to the Tire Manufactures chart, for the SPECIFIC tire you have.. The chart will tell you what PSI should be in EACH tire.. for the known GVW, or GCVW.

Example:

With 6 Goodyear GS647 RSS, 285 16's on the 350, and 4 Goodyear SRA, 285 16's on the 5r. All have a Max load rateing of 3042 lbs, single @ 80 psi, or 2778 lbs, dual @ 80 psi.

A Cat scale tag tells me that our "Rig".. has a GCVW of 18840 lbs:

8820 lbs on the 2 5r axels

65 psi per tire on the 5r axles (I run 68)

Sooo.. I'm at, but a bit above what the Tire Manufacture recommends.. for their SPECIFIC tire.

Joe

awesome. this is great! but what I need to know is where would I find a cat scale and how do you get the three axle measurements from and I cant find a chart for bf good wrench rugged trail t/a. Not that I have any issues but not that I might not too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58