Mystery vibration (still)

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you going to change the flex plate your self? Took me like 5 hours yesterday in the driveway.

Mine was not cracked. I did not see any. Mine definately shifts better. Its smoother now, but the tc was not 100 percent the issue.
Scuffy828 thinks its driveshaft. But i removed it and it still shook. But, i since found a front caliper mounting bracket sliding bolts frozen solid. That might of been the front shake when i drove with out the rear shaft. I am starting to think theres more then one issue causing this vibration. I, before, had a instant shudder on occasion when it shifted into lock up. That seems fixed. I know have what feels like wheels out of balance.
I am going to balance the drive shaft at a shop and have any neccessary repairs done.
It could be the rear end itself with a worn part too. The pinion shaft could have some play. I am getting there.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have a good possible culprit :clap::clap:or at least something that needs to be fixed.

I have a trans jack you're welcome to use if you don't have one It still has my rigging on it to accommodate the goofy shaped pans on these transmissions.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I agree with Brandon..
you might not have found THE problem, but you found A problem that could have hosed up your trip..

my truck went in this morning..

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Flex plate was cracked all the way around the crank bolts. It was only hanging on by about 3/4" of material. I also found that my transfer case was hanging on by only one bolt and it was loose! I haven't touched the t-case bolts since I installed the transmission 7 years ago. I'll test drive it in the morning. I need to take my parents to the airport(using the minivan). I have decided to wait one more day before I head North. I'll be heading to Buffalo on Thursday.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Drove it yesterday with and without the trailer. Seemed better. I think the loose transfer case tore up my fairly new carrier bearing.

melmount

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck i passed the buzz and cct tests. I checked the pass side uvch with an ohm meter. I got 6,6,6 and 27.
They are supposed to be 2.8 but less than 5 ohms.
I took the cover off and sure enough the connection was coming loose. I did not even think of this due to it passing the buzz. Seems fixed but i will know when i drive it.

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Replaced injectors. Problem seems to have gone away. Drove from WNY to Groton, CT and got 17.8 mpg at 70+mph.

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced injectors. Problem seems to have gone away. Drove from WNY to Groton, CT and got 17.8 mpg at 70+mph.

Ya'll must still be on winter diesel. I drove 2hrs at 70mph (with some 45mph speed zones) and got 18.7mpg. My speedometer said 65mph but I was actually going 70....my tires through off my readings

bears4x4

grease monkey
Reaction score
i was told a cracked flex plate on a stock truck is a - one sign of bad crank bearings due to in and out flex by crank under stress, well at least it seemed true for me and now im tearing down my motor

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you go about inspecting the flex plate? I'm not too sure where it is....is it coming from the motor or is it going to the transmission?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58