Napa fuel filter problem?

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
the Ford filter has both, the other one doesn't have an internal tab that i can see.

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I was looking at the 1st picture and the difference in hight. Looking at the 2nd. picture I now see there is a flange on the bottom of the Ford filter that accounts for the difference in hight. There is also a difference in the seal, Ford does not appear to have a seal and the NAPA seams to have a rubber seal.

Both have the index tab.

It was his comment about the hight difference I was trying to figure out.

Looks like the ford filter sits "In" the seat inside the HFCM and the other filter sits "on" the seating surface inside the HFCM. Hence the height difference.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some of those filters have been reported to have damaged the HFCM seat !
part of the problem was that ford made a change to the HFCM in late 2005.

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
I was looking at the 1st picture and the difference in hight. Looking at the 2nd. picture I now see there is a flange on the bottom of the Ford filter that accounts for the difference in hight. There is also a difference in the seal, Ford does not appear to have a seal and the NAPA seams to have a rubber seal.

Both have the index tab.

It was his comment about the hight difference I was trying to figure out.

The napa filter really doesn't have a seal on the bottom of the large filter it just is flat. The ford or int. filter fits or centers itself with the ring thing on the bottom.

bigbrother44

PSD or bust!
Reaction score
:jacked

i just had an idear: what does everyone think about a sticky/locked thread that only 'mods' can modify that contains part numbers (fomoco/ih, etc) of common parts we all need. ....

This parts bible idea is a REALLY great idea. But along with that, perhaps a list of all the alphabet soup you guys use...that would be just as helpful to guys like me who have to stop and look back every time someone uses a jumble of 3-4 letters that mean nothing to me otherwise. Just a thought! Thanks!

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What the crap size scoket fits the fuel filter on the frame? I had nothing that would work but a oil filter wrench and that was a pain.

albran

Very Junior Member
Reaction score
What the crap size scoket fits the fuel filter on the frame? I had nothing that would work but a oil filter wrench and that was a pain.

36 MM, it also fits the oil filter, wifes BMW oil filter, etc.
Seems to be becomming the standard for cartrage type filters.

I wonder why Ford didn't use 36MM for the small fuel filter? Then all the filters would use the same tool :dunno.

ab

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
36 MM, it also fits the oil filter, wifes BMW oil filter, etc.
Seems to be becoming the standard for cartrage type filters.

I wonder why Ford didn't use 36MM for the small fuel filter? Then all the filters would use the same tool :dunno.

ab

Because there in cahoots with the tool company so we have to buy more tools........LOL :dunno sounds good...

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
For around $25 I bought a socket kit for fuel filters from a tool guy that comes to our shop. It has 3 sockets with 3/8th drive that fits most american and foreign models. Came in its own plastic box so I can stash it in my truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58