New up pipes,turbo, wastegate controller and problems

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
I just got the truck from the shop and had a new gt38r turbo, new uppipes, and TURBO MASTER wastegate controller installed. It was rainning like crazy and it was 6:00pm so I was not able to really get on it. About 10 mins after clearing the storm I came to a stop light and gunned it. I was sadly disappointed to only make 9 lbs of boost and dump a **** load of black smoke out of the tail pipe!!:rant WTF could be the problem? I should easily make 30 psi and it should have cleared up the smoke from the stock turbo! The truck ran very strong before I brought it in and now is slow and smokey as hell! Please help! I will be taking it back to the shop for the fix but I want to know what it could possibly be. Thanks

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I just got the truck from the shop and had a new gt38r turbo, new uppipes, and TURBO MASTER wastegate controller installed. It was rainning like crazy and it was 6:00pm so I was not able to really get on it. About 10 mins after clearing the storm I came to a stop light and gunned it. I was sadly disappointed to only make 9 lbs of boost and dump a **** load of black smoke out of the tail pipe!!:rant WTF could be the problem? I should easily make 30 psi and it should have cleared up the smoke from the stock turbo! The truck ran very strong before I brought it in and now is slow and smokey as hell! Please help! I will be taking it back to the shop for the fix but I want to know what it could possibly be. Thanks

Sounds to me like either a boost leak or a drive pressure leak.

There is a way to check for boost leaks. Dieselsite at one time had a test fitting you could get that allowed you to pressurize the intake system from the turbo inlet to the cylinder heads. You would pressurize the intake with some amount of low pressure air and then listen for the tell tale hiss of an air leak coming from any loose connector boots or such.

A drive pressure leak could come from a leak at the dougnut gaskets on the up-pipes or even a misadjusted or bad waste gate valve/contoller. Doughnut gasket leaks are often indicated by soot streaks in that area.

Good Luck.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
She is back at the shop now. We will see in the morning. The up pipes are the bellowed international ones from dieselorings.com. Diesel tech mentioned they were not the ones from ford. I said they should seal better than the ford pipes. Anyone have them with the 38r turbo?

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Ok I got the old girl back and I can now make at least 25 psi with the 38r turbo( I thought I should get 35psi or more). The shop said something to do with the exhaust back pressure was unhooked?? Anyway I thought this new turbo would also clean up the black smoke. I still seem to get alot more black smoke than the stock turbo. I cant really hear the turbo until 1600 rmps or above either ( i used to here the stock turbo spool as I slowly drove through parking lot in 1st gear). I did make enough boost to blow off my intercooler boot twice already. Anyone have any thoughts on the subject? Thanks in advance!

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Make sure you clean the intercooler hoses AND pipes very well with alcohol or paint thinner. There should not be any oil in the hoses or on the pipes.

Dave :)

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Im going to do that in the morning and also coat the tube and boot in hairspray. how long should I let the hairspray set before trying a wide open throttle test again? What boost psi should I be seeing also?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do I see so much more smoke over stock turbo?

Did you do anything to your supply air intake? Black smoke is unburned/sooted diesel particulates. Need more oxygen in the mix to make it "go bang" better.

You can set the turbomaster wastegate controller to any boost pressure you like, until something lets go...read the instructions on the simple adjusting nut that comes with it.

Also, check out the intercooler and turbo boots from Riley/DieselSite if you want to just "do it once and forget about it"...your boots might be too oily to clean right.

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Did you do anything to your supply air intake? Black smoke is unburned/sooted diesel particulates. Need more oxygen in the mix to make it "go bang" better.

You can set the turbomaster wastegate controller to any boost pressure you like, until something lets go...read the instructions on the simple adjusting nut that comes with it.

Also, check out the intercooler and turbo boots from Riley/DieselSite if you want to just "do it once and forget about it"...your boots might be too oily to clean right.

I have plenty of air through my AFE stage 2 filter, I also have set the wastegate controller, and I have all new Dieselsite boots. Im hoping that it is leaking around that IC boot and the hairspray fix will solve my problem. willkeep you guys posted.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58