New up pipes,turbo, wastegate controller and problems

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Ok, I went out and drove the truck.Boots stayed put after hairspray!!I still think my truck smokes more than it used to.I cant really feel any air from behind to turbo but then again I cant really reach back there. Im going to attach some pics of clamp on plenums and turbo and a video of the truck from 0-70 with boost and pyro gauge. Im not sure these clamps are supposed to be used on boots or turbo. the plenums just strip when I went to tightened.
Here are pyro reading from level hyway speeds:

80hp econo tune @70 mph 675-700 degrees @ 2-3lbs of boost
80hp econo tune @55mph 600-625 degrees @ 2lbs of boost
100hp perf tune @70 mph 800 degrees @ 3-4lbs of boost
100hp perf tune @55 mph 700 degrees @ 2lbs of boost
stock turbo made 4-5 lbs of boost at hwy speeds

Video is to large i might have to post a link to it on youtube.
VIDEO0012.3gp - YouTube

I can only make 27 psi at WOT and others claim 35 psi easily!?!

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Your clamps look wonderful. Have you, or anyone else, looked at your waste gate? You can adjust the arm to increase the boost pressure or have someone else do it. Don't go overboard on the adjusting, small steps so you don't blow up your engine.

Dave

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Your clamps look wonderful. Have you, or anyone else, looked at your waste gate? You can adjust the arm to increase the boost pressure or have someone else do it. Don't go overboard on the adjusting, small steps so you don't blow up your engine.

Dave

I dont know much about waste gates. Shop installed the Turbomaster wastegate controller at 2 inches the preliminary adjustment for 25 psi. I followed the directions and have the boost set higher but I dont know how much tighter I should go. I just thought this turbo would make 35+ psi!? It seems to take alot of throttle to make boost.

http://www.dieselsite.com/pdffiles/TM73Install.pdf

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The waste gate will limit your boost. If it is set at 25 psi, it will not go higher, unless you re-adjust your waste gate. The turbo maybe capable of 35 psi, but you will never get that much if you don't re-adjust it.

Dave

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like dave says...[and, yeah, your turbo boots look great!]

i have that TM wastegate controller...to adjust it when I put it in I started at their recommended measurement (# of threads on the bolt, basically) and went for a ride. At WOT I got around 24-25 psi, so I adjusted the nut a half turn; then I got some slightly higher number (sorry, it was years ago so don't remember exactly). I kept doing this over a few days until I could get 28-29 psi boost which is all I want. (still blew a boot last year on a long haul, and finally put those intercooler boots from diesel site on).

If you haven't fiddled with it yourself yet, it's a piece of cake. Just go slow ;tu on the adjustment?

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Like dave says...[and, yeah, your turbo boots look great!]

i have that TM wastegate controller...to adjust it when I put it in I started at their recommended measurement (# of threads on the bolt, basically) and went for a ride. At WOT I got around 24-25 psi, so I adjusted the nut a half turn; then I got some slightly higher number (sorry, it was years ago so don't remember exactly). I kept doing this over a few days until I could get 28-29 psi boost which is all I want. (still blew a boot last year on a long haul, and finally put those intercooler boots from diesel site on).

If you haven't fiddled with it yourself yet, it's a piece of cake. Just go slow ;tu on the adjustment?

Yes I have adjusted it to were it should make more than 30 psi and the truck wont make more than 25psi. It runs like a slug until you really get on the throttle. I was towing for work today in my tow tune with a small 12 foot enclosed trailer (2500-3000lbs) and was hitting 1200 degrees @ 70 mph! What if I had my Bobcat and dual axle trailer??? I would be only going 45mph!! I live in Raleigh NC and it is not real hilly here either! Something is not right!

Oh and should I hit 1600 degrees at 25 psi on a 0-70 mph run on level ground??? That seems way way to high!

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Something is not right. 1600° F on level ground???? Aluminum starts to melt at 1240° F. Where are you measuring the EGT's? I almost never see anything beyond 1200° F. What kind of boost pressures are you running on the highway?? This truck sounds like the timing is retarded, but it is computer controlled and can not be adjusted.

Dave :dunno

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
Something is not right. 1600° F on level ground???? Aluminum starts to melt at 1240° F. Where are you measuring the EGT's? I almost never see anything beyond 1200° F. What kind of boost pressures are you running on the highway?? This truck sounds like the timing is retarded, but it is computer controlled and can not be adjusted.

Dave :dunno

Boost pressures are 2-3lbs at 70mph and 700 degrees.
add a small trailer and i hit 1200 degrees easily! i cant stay at speed limit or ill be at 1200 degrees!

02Oilburner

SDD Power Hungry
Reaction score
You might want to call Bean about this. You are running his injectors. Ask him!

Dave :)

Yes maybe I should. Although I have had ZERO problems with towing before turbo and uppipe replacement. I towed the day before with no issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14