newbie questions

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
Tymarperformance.com I think they go for about $175. The filter is a paper element that costs about $23 to replace. Or you can build your own with some cutting of the stock air box and some 4" exhaust tubing. I'm not sure what mods will void the warranty. I know that some dealers were looking at the back of the PCM to see if a chip was ever installed. I have also heard a rumor that they could tell if a programer was installed and then removed. I'm sure someone will come along and correct me if I am wrong.

Scott

Swany

truck driver
Reaction score
LAF250 said:
no i only have 37k on it still under factory warranty
where do i get a tymar or diy tymar air intake?
will a programmer or chip void my warranty?

well this is a loaded question! yes you can be voided with a programmer or a chip. However, that being said... it is hard for a dealer to find a programmer because you can re-tune your vehicle back to stock (hypertech, superchips, predator, some other one I can't think of). There are hand held tuners that you upload through your OBDII plug and get quick HP/TQ. If you use a chip, a dealer can see that your PCM/ECM had been scraped, therefore it's easier to get your warranty pulled.

If you're new to mods, consider getting a handheld tuner, especially if you are lower on the mileage counter. An aftermarket intake hasn't voided someone's warranty (that I'm aware of). The aftermarket intakes are actually far better than the stock POS.

I'm sure others will chime in too, but that's my .02.

SeeYa

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Swany said:
well this is a loaded question! yes you can be voided with a programmer or a chip. However, that being said... it is hard for a dealer to find a programmer because you can re-tune your vehicle back to stock (hypertech, superchips, predator, some other one I can't think of). There are hand held tuners that you upload through your OBDII plug and get quick HP/TQ. If you use a chip, a dealer can see that your PCM/ECM had been scraped, therefore it's easier to get your warranty pulled.

If you're new to mods, consider getting a handheld tuner, especially if you are lower on the mileage counter. An aftermarket intake hasn't voided someone's warranty (that I'm aware of). The aftermarket intakes are actually far better than the stock POS.

I'm sure others will chime in too, but that's my .02.

Swany is right. Another option is you could buy a PCM and "if" you ever needed to take it in you could switch out the PCM's. A hand held programmer will give the same option to puttting your PCM back to stock. They will definately be able to see if you have a chip. It's your truck and if you don't want to risk voiding your warrranty then don't. Do the minimal upgrades that will not void it and wait. Swany is right I haven't heard of doing the intake voiding a warranty either. I would reccomend the Tymar any day. Dale is great and he stands behind his product.

Diane

ISurvivedNMU

Reaction score
LAF,
Not knowing a ton on the 7.3, I have had some experience with installing the chips to the PCM, and they are not easy like the new chips. You have to remove the pcm ( not real bad, but not fun) then remove the silicon coating from a strip, place your chip on, and replace the computer... Not a simple plug and play...

There are chips out there that do not work that way, and plug into connections under the hood.... I would recomend that or a programmer.. Messing with the PCM is not fun! IMHO.... I can also tell you the the Bully Dog programmer is not working well on all trucks, but they do have a nice chip for under the hood.... Swany mentioned some other good companies...

Hope that helps...

Car_nut57

Reaction score
I would recommend the Banks chip with the appropriate modifications to support the power level you choose for towing and every day driving. This woudl include the compressor wheel and Big Head actuator for the turbo. For the air intake Ford AIS and Di-Pricol gauges.

I use the Banks 120hp in my truck with all the associated modifications and I tow 10K in the mountians, with pre-turbo EGTs below 1250F. I also had to get my trans built and triple lock converter to hold the power for towing.

Dieselmeister

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ricky, like Sage said... You need gauges...

If your worried about warranty then you may want to wait... Ford has a history of voiding warranties for modifying the motor/computer of the truck. And, a tell-tale sign that your running modified is the guages. Not everyone with guages has a chip but the ones that do guages and no chip are very, very few.

The tuners are good for moderate power, though I have never tried one with an extreme setting I can tell you the SCMT is rather mellow when compared to something like a DI 4 setting chip. As long as you keep it mellow and watch your temps, a chip or tuner should not do any harm to your motor. When your pursuit for more ponies gets more aggressive then you have to start watching out for things like PM rods and vented blocks.

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
im still having trouble finding a tymar intake
where can i find one or info on one?
which is better afe or tymar, or ford ais?
thanx for the help
one last question how much sholud i expect to pay for a gauge setup, are there any good sites with good prices on gauges?
ricky

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Follow the link to Dale Isely's site, he is TYMAR. Unfortunately his site is nothing more than contact info. You can e-mail him or give him a call, I recommend the phone method. Leave a number and your name if you get his machine...... You will never regret contacting him.

TYMAR

I think Dale can set you up with guages also, not certain on that though. You can expect to drop about $300.00 or so on guages. Just do a google search for ISSPRO or DiPricol. You'll get alot of hits. Choose a guage that suits your taste.

I will also add this, check with DieselPower they are one of our sponsors here. They have guages and intake systems..........

Last edited:

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
A programmer CAN be detected by a GOOD technician with Ford NGS and WDS computers. They have to be looking though, i.e. blown headgasket or turbo.

Remember...the programmers remove the speed and rev limiters. Anyone know if the PCM can remember highest revs or speeds?

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanx alot guys
hope my questions and concerns where not too trivial
just wanna do things right
and still have a kick ass truck
not that its not badass now
thanx
Ricky

Members online

No members online now.