newbie questions

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
sorry but another question, is it too early to put any kind of power modifer( chip or programmer, not talking about intake or exhaust mods )on my truck with only 37000 mi? ive heard that they're not broke in till 60- 70k miles, would doing so earlier harm my motor, or just help it reach its potential?
thanx
Ricky

Swany

truck driver
Reaction score
Only thing it might hurt is your warranty, I had a programmer when I bought it, Hypertech III, changed over to the SCMT at around 25k, and been a 4 position chip since then- no issues at all.

Reaction score
LAF250 said:
sorry but another question, . . .

You get a lot of different answers and it's hard to choose what you think is the right one - but here is another set for you to think on. I worked my 7.3 hard and towed some things I probably should not have.

Intake - don't overlook the AIS. Excellent filtering and Ford sanctioned. Can be had for under $200 bucks.

Programmers verses chips. I went with a chip so that I could flip to what ever I wanted at any given time. Example: I ran a TS Perf 75 daily/ 75 towing / 125 for fun. I could leave the house in the morning on 75 daily - hook up to a trailer and flip to 75 towing - drop off the trailer - flip to 125 and play with some ricers. :sweet

Note: if you install a chip or tuner - Ford can and will find out about it if they want to. Don't let anyone tell they can't. Some of the smaller dealers don't have or can't afford the new generation computers - but yes, most dealers can tell you what date and time you had a chip in.

So - you have an exhaust - next can be intake or gauges and then after that you can safely get a chip or tuner.

Later,

Ron

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
what is a TS perf chip?
and yes you're right i have recieved alot of answers - some causing more qusetions, but i do truly appreciate the responses , thats why i asked the guys here, and all the help has been appreciated espically comming from people who know, i mean before starting this all i knew about were the major brands - which there is nothing wrong with them but it doesn't hurt to find out about all the parts and options out there
Thanx
Ricky

sagebel

Stock? Pfft!
Reaction score
A TS performance chip is just like any other chip in that it is installed on the back of the PCM(Power Control Module). Chips modify or change timing, injector pulse width, the length of time an injector is open, and other variables to make more power. Most chips now offer more than one setting. Each setting may have different parameters for the functions that I just mentioned. A lower hp setting will generally produce lower egts and is well suited for towing. A high hp setting will may easily run the egts to 1300*. Like Ron said, with the chip you can hook up turn down the chip and go, or, unhook, turn it up and REALLY GO. TS is just one vendor for chips for our trucks. There are others. DP Tuner is also a sponsor here. Take a look at both if not others and if you decide on a chip, call them and tell them what you want. You will get the most hp for your money with a program burned specifically for your truck. Before any chip/tuner is used, I HIGHLY recommend getting guages. I hit 1400* on my pyro empty on a large hill. Only mods were the Tymar intake and 4" exhaust. Feel free to keep asking questions until you learn what you need to. We were all new at this one time or another.

Scott

Reaction score
LAF250 said:
what is a TS perf chip?

Sorry - should have spelled it out. It's TS Performance like others have said. It's a good chip but personally I rather get out and push the truck before I buy anything else from them.

There was just recently a thread that listed most of the major players for chips and/or tuners. It's either on the OB or TDS site - to early in the morning to remember :p

And like Scott said - we were all in your shoes at one time or another - so ask as many questions as you need to - :sweet

Ron

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanx i knew the ts was a chip but hadnt heard much about it
and thanks for the responses i hate having such little knowledge on any subject much less a 30k +$ truck
all the responses have been great and i definately look forward trying out alot of the stuff mentioned
ill be putting a set of gauges on immediately
which are recommended? ive heard tranny temp-egt pyro- boost -and someone did tell me fuel pressure?
oh and Sagebel i dont have to worry about any hills - there isnt a hill in about 200 miles of me i live in sw Louisiana nothing but flat flat and water around here lol

thanks
Ricky

Reaction score
LAF250 said:
ill be putting a set of gauges on immediately
which are recommended? ive heard tranny temp-egt pyro- boost -and someone did tell me fuel pressure?

EGT - Tranny - Boost. As for which brand - it doesn't really matter, which ever ones you like and want to spend the money on. I've installed/helped damn near most of them. I'm partial to the Di–Pricol Gauges myself but any good gauge will do fine.

Ron

LAF250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
how hard is the installation of the gauges, im decent when it comes to mechanic work, but i do have a brother thats a pretty good one
Ricky

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg