No Fan

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I've heard this is a good way to gain some mpg, and unleash a little more ponies.
Is it ok to just not to run a fan for a while?
How easily will these trucks get to hot without a fan?
What would be a good electric fan to get in the future?

Thanks for the info
Neal

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joat is the expert in that realm since he's done the experimentation.

my 2¢here

yes you can run w/o a fan as long as you don't do lots of heavy towing at slow speeds (under 30) or stop & go w/ a heavy load.

Realize that your a/c will be compromised in the summer unless you're moving. For the winter you should have no problmes at all running without a fan.

For an electric fan I'd suggest either the windstar electric fan or the 3.8L taurus fan I believe that they are the same fan just different shrouds though. It's a 2 speed fan that will pull some serious power & air when on the high setting.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have yet to hear of an electric fan that will cool a 7.3 in warm weather. They just don't move enough air. Thart is why so many people keep asking. The short answer is NO WAY.

Dave

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
DaveBen said:
I have yet to hear of an electric fan that will cool a 7.3 in warm weather. They just don't move enough air. Thart is why so many people keep asking. The short answer is NO WAY.

Dave
JOAT's doing it. I think THE ALASKAN is too.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I have heard that the taurus fan moves 3800 CFM of air (not sure of the reliability).
What does are stock fan move?
Do you mean the Ford Windstar fan?

Thanks
Neal

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know rockcrawlers are using the taurus fan and are keeping bigblocks cool running 3-4000 in the desert heat and not going anywhere with any speed.

I did some measuring w/ the taurus fan I have for my crawler toy and figured out that I can fit 2 fans on there which with approprite shrouding should allow for adequate cooling even when towing. realize that if you're going over 35 no fan is going to move more air than what is naturally flowing.

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
I've been running without a fan for about 3 months, I find it works great. I have seen no change in engine temps per the factory gauge. I watched the factory gauge carefully for about a month before I pulled the fan off so I would be able to judge the difference.There is less wear and tear on the waterpump bearings, less noise I think, and it seems a little peppier, fuel mileage may be up slightly, or it's my imagination.

Oh and the truck warms up a little faster, so to me removing the fan is a plus all the way around! :oops:

Dave

f100cleveland

When In Doubt,THROTTLE ON
Reaction score
Taurus, Sable, and Lincoln all use the same two speed fan as long as it has the 3.8 and it is as good or better than any aftermarket fan you can buy. It's made to last forever too. We have one on a 500hp cleveland set on low and it has never run hot.

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
I have a Dual puller setup from an 01 windstar w/ the tranverse mounted v6,ac, you know the works. Its on my 91 bronco that has an 650hp 11:1 466 Big block in it and i run that thing in the sand, mud, and rocks and that thing never gets hot.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I continue to read that there is no electric fan on the market that will cool a PSD but then you read about guys running with no fan. I think it all depends on your particular climate and application. If you tow heavy in Arizona then yes you need the stock fan but if you are like me and live in a freezer no fan or a small electric will do quite nicely. Just my .02.... Whats good for one guy might not be for another.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg