No Fan

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the high speed on the taurus fan is a high amp pull IIRC it's around 30 amps from what I remember people saying they were pulling I never checked mine. The biggest complaint people had about them was that they would burn up relays all the time and that the ones the parts stores recommended were around $50 so I believe I've found a good use for the factory GPR. It should be up to that duty cycle.

DZL JIM

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
From Joat: "The nice thing about the stock fans design is you can haul it around with you for awhile and throw it on in a couple minutes if you need it."

:D
I actually carried the fan with me to BTS in case I needed it!
I don't even know where it is right now.
Wished I'd pulled it off my other truck. That thing never warms up in the winter...

mark Ekberg

Master of nothing
Reaction score
Those of you that run no fan in teh summer............ If I forget to turn on my fan at low speeds I push all my refridgerant out of the AC system. If I am at any speed at all it is fine.

Before I installed my electric fans (BTW The 94-96 Impala ss is running a 300hp sb 350 with electric fans. That is what I stole them out of) I got real hot sitting in traffic for over an hour idleing in 90+ heat. In 4 lanes of traffic I had to pop the hood and spin the stocker on. Boy did that upset people, lucky for them I am fast.

Jcart

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Tortoise fans

Hi all,

Have been running the Tortoise 2 speed fans for some time now and they have worked great. I do not tow much Max 10,000lbs. I have the low speed side hooked to the AC so when I turn on the AC the fans light up via a 40amp relay. The highspeed side is hooked to an adjustible thermo switch with a temp probe in the top rad hose inlet, again ran through a different 40 amp relay. I have installed an on/off/on rocker switch on the dash so I can manually control which circut I want to us or not at all. Have desiged the fan assembly so that it bolts to the rad support so that all I have to do is undo 4 bolts and the fans come off. check out my pics at http://community.webshots.com/user/jcart44 under truck pics. I had mentioned on the other site that I would post some pics of the cardboard template I used, but I have misplaced it........

jrc

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Jcart,

Welcome to SDD, can you provide links to your "tortise fans"? Sounds like a helluva sweet setup you have there.

Jcart

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey 95....

The only Link I have is my sig and is shown in a number of pics under truck stuff. The "Tortoise" refers to Taurus Fans which I got used from the wreckers. They are for the HO V6 and are duals, two speed. As you will see if you look at my pix, I tossed the Taurus fan shroud and fabbed up a ladder type frame that holds the fans side by side and then mounted them to the stock Radiator frame. This allows you to remove the fans in one unit by undoing the four bolts and unplugging the wiring at the relays. Shall take some pics of the Relay location tomorrow and post on my site, will also take some measurements for others to use as reference.

jrc

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Jcart said:
Hey 95....
The "Tortoise" refers to Taurus Fans which I got used from the wreckers. They are for the HO V6 and are duals, two speed.
jrc

:doh: Thanks for clearing that up.... I thought maybe someone had found a new vendor for "Tortise Fans".:propeller

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
J-Cart. Welcome. Enjoyed reading your web pictures and your writeup about the fans and other things you did to your truck.
Come back ofter, we all learn from others. :sweet :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim