No Fan

DZL JIM

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I pulled my fan off over 2 years ago. Only time the temp gauge (mechanical)even moved above it's normal spot was when I drove to BTS in April and sat in traffic in 85* temps. Even then, the motor was maybe 10* hotter, and I had a 185* stat in it then, so the temp difference didn't matter.
Also, when sitting still or towing in the summer temp's would climb a little.
So, I decided to make a set of fans for it. Hit the scrap yard and got 2 fans from small front wheel drive cars. I have no idea what the cars were. Total cost was like $50. Now, even with a 203* stat, no matter what I'm doing driving wise, when the fans kick on, the temps stay right at 200* or so and don't move.

I'll agree alot depends on your climate and drive style. But for everyday driving, no fan showed no increase in temps on my truck.
Oh, I yanked all the A/C stuff off a while ago, too. If you want A/C, you HAVE to HAVE some kind of fan on there.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
Well i live in NE Ohio so i think i should be ok, it only gets hot here sometimes and i dont do a lot of towing, i'm gettin ready to call the junk yard here before classes to look fo a fan.
Is the stock fan a pain in the neck to take off?

97CREWCABPSD

Smoke What Smoke Officer?
Reaction score
no it just requires either a commercially availble fan wrench or a home made one and remeber it is reverse threaded.

timberjack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is the stock fan a pain in the neck to take off?

I used the method below last time i took it out, but am going to make myself a set of wrenchs from some 1/8" or 3/16" plate.

If you have access to an air compressor and air chisel/hammer kit, it should be easy.

Standing in front of your engine. Get your longest air hammer bit, chisel or punch, and hammer away on the top left most edge of the clutch nut, the 1-7/8" one. It should not too much to break it free then just spin it off by hand. Don't hit the clutch nut straight on, as you won't do your water pump bearings much good. You'll have to take the shroud out at the same time, otherwise the fan won't come out. You'll also have to take the upper rad hose off at the rad to get the shroud out IIRC.

Check the sticker or embossing on your fan shroud to see which way your fan should come off. Mine came off counter-clockwise, and the shroud is labeled "right hand thread". I thought i saw some folks say otherwise. 97CREWCABPSD, is that what you mean by reverse thread? That would mean your fan clutch is on with left hand threads, ie: tightens counter clockwise?

I would have thought all of them would be the same.
Ken

smokyred

SDD Wannabe Mod #2
Reaction score
You hit it spot on Timberjack. I used the air chisel/hammer kit. And yeah, the upper hose does have to come off, pull it off real slow, and no wet floor. Oh and my shroud says RIGHT HAND THREAD on it too, kinda interesting.

Dieselpwrdredneck, where in NE OH do you live? DZLJIM and I both live in NE OH, Me in Lorain County and I'm pretty sure he's in Geauga County. :sweet

Dave

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
The first time my fan came off easy. Replaced the water pump, then couldn't get the fan off without the air hammer. Bent the big fan clucth wrench trying.

Only issues I noticed when running no fan was in stop and go, 90° +, the AC and Trans cooler would slowly bring the coolant temp up. With a stick should be less of an issue. Under load (4000lb boat) as long as I was moving 30+ MPH doesn't seem to be any issues.

As to is there any electric fan that equals the 5000+ CFM of the stock fan?
NO!
Does this really matter???
Think about it. The only time the stock fan hits it's maximum CFM is under conditons where the fan clutch is fully engaged and the fan is spinning at maximum RPM. If you are pulling 20000 lbs up a long grade in the desert heat at 10mph, then you may need the stock fan. Otherwise, odds are you will never miss it.

The nice thing about the stock fans design is you can haul it around with you for awhile and throw it on in a couple minutes if you need it.

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
I live in stark county, Alliance area, thats east of Canton a ways. Right now i stay pretty much in Wayne County, Wooster, for colege at OSU ATI.

I just got a electric fan from a 3.8l taurus today at the junkyard for 20$ not sure when ill get it hooked up, but the fan might come off tomorrow

Thanks for all the help
Neal

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
I have the 2 speed Taurus fan but have only used it on the low speed activated below 30 mph AC on with an elaborate speed controlled switch.

I have an adjustable thermostatic switch I've been planning to use on the high speed side of the fan. Got the switch cheap HERE at JCWhitney

Dieselpwrdredneck

Addicted2Diesel
Reaction score
the fan i have is the two speed one as well, i am still ponderin which way i will hook it up.... you have some awsome ideas JOAT:hail :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Svttim