No Horn or Cruise Control

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
F250Jockey said:
That G200 number on the ground for that circuit, will that be labeled on the wire bundle that the horn circuit is in?

Thanks!

not likely labeled. Cutaway looks like it is somewhere behind the glovebox area, but hard to tell. Alot of components ground there, so I wouldn't worry about that connection. IF it's a ground issue more likely in the steering column area.

Since it's not voodoo techology like the cruise control buttons, I'd start with the horn circuit as it's pretty obvious when it activates (neighbors will love you).

It appears grounding the horn wire activates it near as I can tell. Looks also like it grounds thru the cruise circuit??? not sure. Possible it does so that it deactivates cruise if you hit the horn

Last edited:

tubzz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
joat & hheynow know what they are talking about.but did you check your brake lights.i can't rember if my horn quit working or not but the cruise did with the back cab light out.just trying to help you it looks like you have tryed everything else.just something to check wierder things have happen

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
BK/LG = Black & Light Green?

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm gonna look at it again today!

F250J

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
tubzz said:
joat & hheynow know what they are talking about.but did you check your brake lights.i can't rember if my horn quit working or not but the cruise did with the back cab light out.just trying to help you it looks like you have tryed everything else.just something to check wierder things have happen
Tbuzz,

Yeah, that brake light was one of the first things I checked! I've dealt with that thing before. I think it can effect everything in the truck! :eek:

Thanks for the tip though! You're right about Joat and Hheynow! They are like the PSD Guru's! :hail

BTW, that is one Bad Azz Powerstroke you've got!!! :sweet

JOAT

I Found Nemo!
Reaction score
tubzz said:
snip ....
just something to check wierder things have happen

Yeah, this modern electronics stuff can give you fits of rage. At leat we're looking at a constant problem here. The intermittant stuff is what really gets you. I would blow the fuse (7? 8? forgot) that kills the speedometer, keyless, etc every 2-3 months. Once it started it would keep blowing them till I got into the circuit trying to track it down, then mysteriously quit for a few months. Finally got constant enough I tracked it down to the Keyless entry module. Turns out a defect in my explorer console (mod) caused a keyless internal relay to overheat and melt internally, so it would intermitantly short enough to blow the fuse.

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
JOAT said:
Cutaway looks like it is grounded somewhere behind the glovebox area, but hard to tell. Alot of components ground there, so I wouldn't worry about that connection. IF it's a ground issue more likely in the steering column area.

Since it's not voodoo techology like the cruise control buttons, I'd start with the horn circuit as it's pretty obvious when it activates (neighbors will love you).

It appears grounding the horn wire activates it near as I can tell. Looks also like it grounds thru the cruise circuit??? not sure. Possible it does so that it deactivates cruise if you hit the horn
Ok, I chased this thing, off and on, a couple of days this week, with no luck.

In Don's earlier post, you said that the horn/cruise circuit might ground behind the dash. I put in a new heater core last week, so I probably knocked something loose in the process.

I tore all that back apart today, and still couldn't find a grounding point nearby.

Anyway, if I leave that ground alone, and try to ground the circuit somewhere else on the truck (like around the steering column), do I just take the BK and LB (light blue?) wires in the ground schematic, and ground them to the body and see if that fixes my problem?

I hate to ask this stuff to you guys, but I'm serious when I say that I'm electrically impaired! :confused:

Heck, I'm just starting to comprehend how a relay works! :roflmao

Thanks!

F250Jockey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update on my horn & cruise dilemma!

This morning I did the Pinpoint test from the Ford Service manual. Everything checked out good until I got to the end, where it said I had an open circuit or loose ground.

Anyway, I had power to the horn, and I could take a screwdriver and ground the horn switch to the metal in the column, and the horn would work.

Long story short, it WAS a loose ground wire that went into a huge bundle under the steering column, then through the PCM, then up under the fusible link box, and then back down to the firewall, back into the cab (and who knows where from there! :confused: )

I ended up tapping back into the ground wire right before it went back into the cab, and splicing it into a ground on the body, under the hood.

Everything seems to be working normal, and I'm glad that ordeal is over!!! Fits of rage were common occurances today! :D

I do have one remaining question. Coming of the horn/cruise switch, back underneath the clockswitch, there is a black wire with like purple dots on it that goes over to the ignition switch. (It's not a ground for the horn/cruise).

It has a plastic clip that holds it on that is partially broken, and it seems to contact something in the area where the switch cylinder turns???

Anyone have any idea what that wire is for? :dunno

Thanks! :sweet

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14