Question No Start Condition 05 F-250

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Update No Start Condition....

Due to weather conditions I have not performed any test.Then there was a break in the weather so I lifted the hood just to find that I do not have a clue as of what I am looking at or what I was looking for,then it started raining again which was perfect.For the next three days I camped out in front of my computer reading this forum inside and out to learn about what and how my first diesel tics,WOW amazing engine.
I am not going to say I comprehended every thing I read but at least I can now open the hood and recognize the components and their location which will help the diagnostic process a little (lot) easier.
Finally a break in the weather,I started off by changing both fuel filters and while draining the HFCM I checked for water in the system then cycled the key about 6 times and tried starting still no start although it did act like it wanted to it was firing but not much.I checking the DTC's,There were no codes.The scanner said zero codes to be read.That seems to be unusual does it not?Then I tried restarting moving the gear shift lever in and out of neutral and park with no success.I then checked all fusses and connections inside cab and engine compartment.Next I Pushed the reset on the emergency fuel cut-off switch.Then I Verified that the oil level is correct and checked the oil pressure registering on the dash pressure gauge and it showed pressure with in 10 seconds of cranking.Now both batteries are on charge and I will see what tomorrow beholds.I should be able to finish DaveBen's no start checklist.
Still any tips are always welcome.

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
How did you check for DTC's? Many cheap scanners will not read our trucks. You need one that will read CAN as found on most later trucks. Also you need 500 psi oil pressure at the HPOP for the computer to fire the injectors. Can your scanner read oil pressure?
Good luck Starduster.

Dave :)

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No

NO
NO
NO and NO
I will look into that.Is there any one in particular that you would recommend?
I also saw some standing oil in the intake tube just as it takes a 90 degree turn down and in the turbo intake is that common or normal?
I just checked the FICM and

KOEO 18V
KO CRANKING 26V

I did this several times and the same each time.Would it be safe to say it is the FICM?

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks

Sounds like what I need so I will look into them.I would like to know what codes are in there not to mention the high oil pressure,If that is the tool then so be it I will get one.
I will update soon.

snicklas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
starduster. The FICM is your issue. With those voltages, your truck will NEVER start. That is what I just fixed on mine. Starts like a new truck. Get the FICM Repaired, and I bet your truck will start right up, mine did.

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Scanner Tool

DaveBen,What exact model number of the scan-tool do you recommend from auto enginuity?I am looking at the pc-based scan-tool model# ST06-USB for $249.95 with the Enhanced Ford Expansion for $199.95,Would you recommend this?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
That is what I have, and the Toyota package for my car. Works great with Win 7 or XP. You also get some other software packages with the ST06, like a Drag Race that allows you to race yourself over a set distance.

Dave ;tu

starduster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
No Start Update

After looking and checking and feeling and more checking and allot of testing I have come to the conclusion that my FICM is the problem so I removed it,shipped it to FICMRepair in The Colony,TX.I just got a phone call from them telling me that my FICM is fried and not repairable.The circuit board which they repair is fine,it is the power supply part of it and they do not repair those,they are replaced with a new one called a half-shell.Thank god I know the parts manager at our local ford steelership.The price started at 580.00 and after his discount it is 462.00 plus 150.00 core charge due to the fact that I will not get the one I sent to Texas back until tomorrow.

hulkster

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
just SOME of the reasons a 6.0 will crank but not start.

ficm, icp sensor,ipr regulator,o ring leak on standpipe(s) rear fitting at high pressure oil pump, high pressure oil pump, icp sensor circuits, branch tube from high oil pressure pump to stand pipes, cam sensor,crank sensor,base oil pressure failure,fuel pump,
even with service codes you may or,may not retrieve,, theses engines will drive one crazy if you are not familiar with how to determine what caused this when i have a code for that. just explaning it will make you crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58