No start, leaking oil

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Yesterday my check engine light came on. I didnt think much of it. I had planned on going to pick up one of the craftsman odb2 scan tools today to check it out. Well, my truck wouldnt start this morning. Not even turn over, starter doesnt click, anything(batteries seem fine). I look under the truck, and see a small puddle of oil dripping of the passenger side of the motor( first time ive ever seen it drip oil). I can also smell a burnt smell. This is my daily driver, so i need this rig back up and running asap. Please let me know what else i need to check inorder to further troubleshooting. I didnt get a chance to look under the hood yet. Thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Clean your battery posts and connections! This is one of the biggest problems with diesel trucks. Good Luck.

Dave

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Battery terminals are clean as i clean them regularly. Tried starting it in neutral with no luck there either. I used my new code reader and got the code p1389, "glow plug circuit high side, low voltage". What should be my next step? Thanks.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Test the glow plug circuit by checking the voltage on a glow plug when you turn the key to run and it is cold. You should see 12V at the glow plug, unitl the glow plug light goes out. If you do not see a voltage at the glow plug, you may need a Gow Plug Controller.

Dave

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
why am I thinking that oil dripping on the starter toasted it?

get a buddy and a test light.. start probing..

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why am I thinking that oil dripping on the starter toasted it?

get a buddy and a test light.. start probing..

Times 2 Clint.

Look along the oil rail on the pass side for oil.. if there is oil.. it'll seep down around the back of the head.. drips down on the starter.

Not Good.

Joe

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Test the glow plug circuit by checking the voltage on a glow plug when you turn the key to run and it is cold. You should see 12V at the glow plug, unitl the glow plug light goes out. If you do not see a voltage at the glow plug, you may need a Gow Plug Controller.

Dave

I have never done any work to my glow plugs and dont even know where they are. does anyone have a picture of where they are located and what portion of the glow plug I should use to test?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Times 2 Clint.

Look along the oil rail on the pass side for oil.. if there is oil.. it'll seep down around the back of the head.. drips down on the starter.

Not Good.

Joe

I will check that out tonight. Tonight is the first chance I have had to look at the truck. Been real busy at work and also prepping to go to new zealand for my brother-in-law's wedding. I did manage to take a look at my starter tonight and there are some signs of oil on and around it, but its doesnt look like much. with the fact that the starter is only a month old, and the oil leak just started with in the last 2-3 days, could it really burn out the starter that quick?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
one other thing i noticed too is that the burnt smell is much stronger inside the cab when I open the door than when im on top of the motor.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
They are located where spark plugs would go if a gas motor. They are deep into the head. You can test the voltage at the plug that connects to the glow plug. :)

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58