No start, leaking oil

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Right is the passenger's side. The solenoid maybe on the starter and you can jump across the solenoid if you are careful. Have fun...

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clint... follow the passenger side + battery cable, it goes to the ignition solenoid.. mounted on the inter pass side fender. When you turn the key.. that solenoid connects/sends power to the starter motor and a solenoid that engages the flywheel (bendics spring)... which turns the engine over.

Sounds to me like..... If the starter motor is spinning.. but the engine is Not turning over.. you have a Starter Soleniod problem.

Shade-Tree.. but sometimes.. you can give the starter soleniod area.. a good Rap or 3.. and it [might] free up, and work [For A While].

11 year old starter soleniod & spring/gear/shaft ???

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Clint... follow the passenger side + battery cable, it goes to the ignition solenoid.. mounted on the inter pass side fender. When you turn the key.. that solenoid connects/sends power to the starter motor and a solenoid that engages the flywheel (bendics spring)... which turns the engine over.

Sounds to me like..... If the starter motor is spinning.. but the engine is Not turning over.. you have a Starter Soleniod problem.

Shade-Tree.. but sometimes.. you can give the starter soleniod area.. a good Rap or 3.. and it [might] free up, and work [For A While].

11 year old starter soleniod & spring/gear/shaft ???

Joe

Ok. thanks big joe. I'll try to locate that and give it a few good taps. If it needs to be replaced, where is the best place to pick one of those up? as far as the spring/gear/shaft you speak of, what exactly are those?

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. thanks big joe. I'll try to locate that and give it a few good taps. If it needs to be replaced, where is the best place to pick one of those up?

**Kinda yer call. I'm not a fan of remans.. I'd check with IH (not Ford) and see what they have and say ?

as far as the spring/gear/shaft you speak of, what exactly are those?

Simply put:

When you turn the key to the Start position.. 12v/high amps go to the Starter motor and it's Solenoid. (In unison) That soleniod moves a driven Shaft (driven by the starter motor), with fixed gear on the end that moves in and engages the flywheel.. turning the engine over. When the engine starts.. and you release the key.. a Spring returns that shaft back, away from the flywheel*.

Over time.. the starter solenoid, itself.. can (will) get weak (won't move the shaft).. the shaft gets worn (dry) and the Spring also can get weak.

Joe

* Some soleniod operated spring~shafts, by design, work differently.. but the cause & effect are the same.

Last edited:

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ok. I followed the passenger side positive cable and it drops straight down from the battery and rides along the frame rail until it hits the starter. no solenoid to be seen except for the one on the starter. maybe my year model is different?

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Well, I'm leaving for New Zealand today and this adventure will have to continue when I get back in January. I managed to poke around and locate some more possible oil leak areas(in the daylight this time). When I get back, I will be washing down the motor the best I can to locate the source.

Here are some more pics I took of my finds. Both of these are on the drivers side of the motor.

Definitely need to clean the main motor grounds!
sizeimage.php

sizeimage.php

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have a great trip to New Zealand! It is wonderful down there this time of year.

Dave :)

X2 Clint

In my Navy travels I had the opportunity to travel all over the North & South islands of New Zealand.. Dave is surely right.. It's a Wonderful/Beautiful country.. with probably the most Friendly people too.

Enjoy

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, I made it back from new zealand and it was awesome. the weather was great and I pretty much toured the entire south island. Good beer in new zealand too. Anyway, came back and after almost a month of my truck sitting, the batteries appear to be drained. I will be picking up a good battery charger soon and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. after a short bit of research, I think I am going to get an automatic charger to avoid over charging. I also saw one of the battery tender small chargers at my local sears but not sure if that is what I need. What would you guys suggest?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58