No start, leaking oil

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a shop type battery charger/jumper. You can charge the batteries using a timer, but it is not a tender. It has a jump start mode for adding 150 amps to the batteries while you start the truck. This guy is not cheap, but it has been so many years I don't have any idea of the price.

Dave :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:dunno I have a Schumacher SC-7500A that has served me well. Has all the capabilities for chaging ALL types of Batterys... with a tappering charge rate. An Alternator output feature, and a booster for starts. Digital readout.

Got it at Wally World...Don't remember what I payed for it.. but it has been money well spent. ;tu;tu

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, I ordered a battery tender 2 bank system. It came down to that or the schumacher, but I liked the thought of being able to charge both batteries at once for the same price. it should be here today and then we will see from there.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
Battery tender came and charged the batteries overnight. After charging I get the same no crank symptom of course. so now back to square one. I have tomorrow and the weekend to figure this out, and after that I'm gonna have to take it somewhere(which i do not want to do!!) because this is my daily driver and I need it for work. i find it weird my year model doesn't have a solenoid between the passenger side battery and the starter. any ideas?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It maybe on the starter, like a Chevy. It would be a cylinder that resides on top of the starter, with the battery cable going to it.

Dave :)

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ok. went and bought a nice automatic diehard starter from seras today. charged the batts up yesterday and managed to do some troubleshooting(it finally stopped raining!!). fuse #103 was blown(replaced). still nothing. I did verify that it have 12 volts going to thge starter and the smaller actuator wire has 12v when I turn the key. only thing I can figure is its the starter. the motor isnt locked up lol, so it should be able to turn the motor over.

any advice on where to get a starter from. I've read that ford wants $500 with a $200 core for the OEM starter(which I don have). I' not willing to pay $700 for a starter. Iv'e seen the bosch starters and read about an HD starter that napa has. anybody have any experience with good starters besides OEM?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Just stay away from O'Reilies and other cheap auto parts stores. Their rebuilt starters are JUNK.

Dave :coffee

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok. any advice on where to get a starter from. I've read that ford wants $500 with a $200 core for the OEM starter(which I don have). I' not willing to pay $700 for a starter. Iv'e seen the bosch starters and read about an HD starter that napa has. anybody have any experience with good starters besides OEM?

At this point.. I'm thinking the No Crank.. is Not the starter... YET. You should be getting at least a some sort of sound(s) when you turn the key. Could be the Park/Nuetral switch.. the Ignition switch...

Maybe someone with an 02 7.3 will chime in here with the Starter Soliniod location ????? you could jump the soliniod and go straight to the starter motor.. to see what happens then ?? go from there ??

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
To my surprise, the local ford dealership and it was $400 out the door with the core charge. I'll have it in by tonight and we will see what happens!!

BTW, for reference, the fomoco part number for the starter is 2C3Z-11002-AA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58