oh boy my wifes gonna kill me

avaya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
this morning i woke up and started the day by moifying my stock 03 excursion

new volant intake then juice platinum with attitude. after these two i drove her to the hardware store and all was great. got home and figured i would start the exhaust. it is a 4 inch mprp turboback for the excursion. had a nightmare of a time gettiing the old out . especially down pipe. but i did it. dusk comes i finish up with a halogen lamp. start it up and it sounds good sittin in the driveway. i decided i would go get ice cream for kids and test it out and holy crap as soon as i put a touch to the gas pedal it sounds horrible. i dont mean outside i mean in the cab. can feel vibration in the gas pedal it so bad. sounds like floor boards are gonnna shake loose. it seems to buck a bit. if i had to describe the sound its like stickin a ball card in the spokes of your bike ( times 100 ). im scared to death to drive it in fear of screwin her up big time. does anybody have a turbo back mbrp on an 03 excursion. i can understand a little noise but this is ridiculous. luckily i have tommorow to fix it. unfortunately my old exhaust is in pieces. the truck is a 6.0 . please help and i look forward to the advice from the knowledgable people in this forum brian

Russ

Found On Russ' Drive
Reaction score
Sounds like the down pipe is hitting some where on the body, Crawl under it when the sun comes up and make sure you have enough room around the pipe.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is the down pipe hitting the fire wall ?

i have a turbo back mbrp on my 2004 6.0 mine sounds fine...
im using the mbrp muffler & cat delete pipe....no problems.

youve either got a leak at the down pipe or some
where close...or the a bit of pipe is hitting something.

Zookie400

I WANNA GO FAST
Reaction score
definatly sounds like you have contact somewhere, likely the downpipe, possibly a hanger contacting metal to metal somewhere.

:SDD2 HANG AROUND HERE....we have a lot of helpful people!

post up some pics of the X

avaya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thanks for the quick responses
in the morning ill go over it very closely. the one thing i did notice was i was leakink a small amount of air at the cat. the existing bolts were so crappy with rust i thing it would be impossible to get a good seal. i was just gonna get the cat delete. but after this bit with driving like a wreck i got gun shy.on a side note the turbo whistle is amazing thanks again

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definatly sounds like you have contact somewhere, likely the downpipe, possibly a hanger contacting metal to metal somewhere.

:SDD2 HANG AROUND HERE....we have a lot of helpful people!

post up some pics of the X

GOOD point...i had to cut one of the "hangers" that was welded
to the MBRP...it was too long and would have been bangin' against
the frame....i probably cut a good 2 inches off the one hanger.

avaya

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
problem solved

amazing
went out this morning and checked the down pipe and sure enough it was hitting where the top and bottom were welded forming a bit of a flange. after i backed the bolts out and adjusted it away i took it for a spin. the noise was absolutely gone in fact i find the exhaust to be HARDLY louder than stock. the whistle is through the roof. thanks again to the people who gave advice. you can imagine the noise being like i left a wrench in the turbo blades. i was scared to drive her .

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
install a cat delete pipe and open up that exhaust a little more.
the exhaust doesnt get "loud" until youre full throttle...

Sawboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bush is right. Say buh bye to the kitty. The sound is awesome then. Especially juuuuust before the shift points under hard acceleration!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14