F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
vacumpump2.jpg

Very nice, Bush. Your answering your own posts at this point. :D

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont see the need for the pump...'specially if you have to DRAIN the oil anyway !

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
I believe the pump would be to take samples between changes, or to see how many more miles the oil could go if your running an extended change. As you mentioned at some point, if you have a Fumoto valve you can easily get a sample. A quick trip to a surgical supply store would get you the tubing and a small vacuum pump for about $12.00. If your running an after-market remote secondary filter and $130.00 worth of synthetic the $22.00 would be well worth it IMHO. If your running Rotella or Delo and a Fram or M/C from Wally World I would think you could just watch the odometer or calendar and figure it out.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the pump would be to take samples between changes, or to see how many more miles the oil could go if your running an extended change. As you mentioned at some point, if you have a Fumoto valve you can easily get a sample. A quick trip to a surgical supply store would get you the tubing and a small vacuum pump for about $12.00. If your running an after-market remote secondary filter and $130.00 worth of synthetic the $22.00 would be well worth it IMHO. If your running Rotella or Delo and a Fram or M/C from Wally World I would think you could just watch the odometer or calendar and figure it out.

yeah i agree i understand why some MIGHT want it...but at the same
time ive always questioned the accuracy of this method...

ive got a friend whos never pulled the drain plug on one of his cars....
sucks the oil out w/ a mity-vac :rolleyes: i wonder whats layin on the
bottom of the pan STILL when he does this...or if someone is getting
a sample from the top or BOTTOM of the oil sitting in the pan.

periodic (in between oil change) sampling can be done w/ a fomoto
valve too....for less than it costs for a 30 buck specialized pump.

if you like the pumping idea then buy a mity vac that you can use
for OTHER chores too (bleeding brakes would be a good start).

Mityvac

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay... fumoto valve is a nice idea, off road I think a stick or who knows what would rip it off and leave you really screwed.

Secondly, I don't trust people as far as I can throw them... and in some cases, it's a good distance! I digress... All some smart @$$ has to do is drain your oil, and again you're screwed. Not so much damage wise, but the fact that you gotta go find oil someplace before you're headed anywhere.

I spent the money on the pump so I could sample other things too, like my LS... you ain't getting a fumoto under that thing... hell, can't get the jack under there half the time. I run 10k changes on the LS running mobil 1. No problems.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a Fumoto drain valve on my 94 Mustang GT. I rebuilt the engine two years ago and to my surprise their was a layer of crud on the bottom of the oil pan. This crud was almost at the same level of the Fumoto drain valve.

What I saw was that when you thread the drain valve in, the threads stick beyond the bottom of the oil pan. When you drain the oil, you leave about 1/4" to 3/8" of oil on the bottom of the pan. I don't know about you but when I drain my oil, I want all of it out, especially the heavy crud that settles to the bottom.

Don't believe me? Next time drain your oil with your drain valve. After she is empty remove the drain valve and see how much more oil comes back out. It won't be a whole lot of oil but it will be thick and yucky. That's the stuff I want to get rif of!

I will never use a drain valve again.

Also, what happens if some POS opens your valve while you are shopping at the mall? 15 qts of your oil gone and now you have to buy oil to replace before you can go home. Granted this may seem far fetched but are you willing to take that chance?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58