Oil consumption Big Time!

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
As my saga contiues on my poor beast. As I fix one thing it is another that comes up.

Changed all injectors only to have two of the new ones defective. Changed those with two old ones until I can get replacments.

Truck runs good but has slight rough idle or miss if you will. Scan shows all contributing. Passes buzz test as well.

I was driving the truck and lost all power again! But this time a big bunch of blue smoke and a check engine light. Discovered that the truck had used all it's oil...2 gallons. Re-filled and ran good again. However I watched the oil use and I have to add 2 quarts every 100 miles or so. It's using big time.

My first thought was bad injector o-ring but there is no discoloration in the fuel bowl. But fuel mileage is up leading me to think oil is getting in. Maybe not.

2nd thought was bad turbo seals...there is no excessive endplay or wobble but I noticed someone here saying the black smoke is a bad sign and should be brownish...mine is black and the tailpipe is very discolored. Always has been since I have owned it 16K miles.

Is there an easy test to see if the oil is being used by the turbo?

Spoke with a Diesel tech as well and had him look at the truck. No blowby so I do not suspect rings. Never used oil before. Oil in not leaking on the ground.

262K miles 2002 F450

HELP! Please!

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
You say the exhaust tip outlet is discolored, is it oily & slimey?

If you pull the turbo off and check the up-pipe collector (baby's butt) if there is oil in the baby's butt, then the oil is coming from the engine and thru the up-pipes (not good).

If there is no oil in the baby's butt and the turbo housing outlet where the exhaust system connects is all messy & oily, then the source is the turbo shaft seals. (Not good but better than the alternative) If that is the case, then you will need to get a rebuilt turbo. You can either buy one that is totally redone or get a rebuild kit and redo the seals yourself. Beans has a Turbo Rebuild Kit available for do-it-yourselfers.

Last edited:

CKyle494

Full Access Member
Reaction score
schreckman, if you find out what it is let me know. I am using about 1 quart every 135 miles (close to you) I have had the engine rebuilt, 2 new turbo's, half a dozen rings on the injectors and new injector cups. Still haven't found out what it is, guy is going to have buy me a new engine if he can't find out what it is. Had heads done and new valves installed, getting old.

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
I have to find out what it is...I cannot repossess cars without it. I spoke with a good PS guy tonight and he said he has seen them fill the intercooler with oil until they start running on it like a jet engine. They either blow up or die trying. I sure hope that does not happen to me tonight. I am just nursing it until I can look at it this weekend.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my honest guess is that you rolled an injector o-ring when installing the new injectors

As for the intercooler filling with oil that would be from the CCV and that is a slower process not one that is seen on your dipstick. You can just pull the cold side (goes into the engine) and see if it is coming into the engine.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
my honest guess is that you rolled an injector o-ring when installing the new injectors

As for the intercooler filling with oil that would be from the CCV and that is a slower process not one that is seen on your dipstick. You can just pull the cold side (goes into the engine) and see if it is coming into the engine.

I'd go with that one, too.
it makes the most sense.

blue smoke=oil
black smoke=fuel
grey or white=moisture

You might get a puff of blue/grey on the AM start due to a cold engine and condensation, but it should dissapate in a few seconds

-edit-

let me expain this a little more in depth..
You changed your injectors and now it uses oil, right?

So you go back to the last thing you did before the problem started.

You changed the injectors.

The Powerstroke injector uses oil pressure to open and close it.

so if you are not loosing oil EXternally, it's got to be going down the tailpipe.
so..

you can pull the turbo like Tailgunner suggested, which I have a better idea than that.. pull the boots from the turbo splitter to the heads. If there is no oil present, you need to investigate the high pressure side of the engine, ie, injector O-rings or injectors.

If oil IS present, start the engine. If it sprays oil everywhere, pull the turbo and check the baby's butt.

If no oil is present there, your consumption problem is laying on the bench (turbo).

If it IS present in the baby's butt, then you've confirmed your problem to be the injectors and/or O-rings (because you didn't have the problem before you changed them, capiche?)

Last edited:

schreckman

Schreck The Tech
Reaction score
That was my thought as well but I was told if an injector o-ring was bad the oil would show up in the fuel bowl. Is that not the only place?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58